Sheffield Accent

Last Sunday, I was talking to a guy originally from Kent. He said to me "And which part of the Midlands are you from?" :(

hiya my brother-in-law has lived and worked in america for 20 odd years,and before that from being 18years old different parts of the world in the army, he comes over to sheffield back home he says but telephones his family that still live here,i'm going on a bit but he still sounds like he did when he was 18, he is turned 60 now, i think his american family has a problem sometimes with his sheffieldisms, which he still uses.

In the early 1980's I lived and worked in Canada for a short time . I worked for one company which sold whole life insurance on a door to door basis generally to low income families. The policies did not offer a great amount of life cover and were not expensive.

The areas we were canvassing had a tremendous amount of immigrant population from all sorts of countries many of whom could not pinpoint or understand my broad Sheffield accent.

From time to time the sales staff would "double pad," that is to say we would work in pairs for a little while to give each other encouragement.

One particular Friday afternoon I was double padding with a native Canadian. It was his turn to make the sales presentation and I would be giving the moral support. It was going to be the last presentation of the day.

Bob knocked on the apartment door and a large skinny man answered. He resembled Ginger Baker . His ginger hair was covered by a leather style flying helmet which seemed a little strange to be wearing indoors.

He invited us in . The flat was loppy. His wife / girlfriend had teeth like a piano keyboard and was sprawled across the settee. The puppy they had was peeing all over the threadbare carpet. Their baby was happily crawling in the dog ****. The adults had either had had plenty of booze or some dope or both before our arrival.

Ginger asked us if we would like a coffee. We could see a few cups scattered around with drink stains that might have been there for a few weeks. We declined.

Bob was halfway through the rigid word for word presentation we were supposed to perform . By this point I had said nothing.

Suddenly the Ginger one leapt up to his feet as though he had been electrocuted. " D' ya wanna beer? " he bellowed.

Bob asked me what I thought . My only words were . " Goo on then."

I was absolutely gobsmacked when the Ginger nutter excitedly said to me

" You're from Sheffield England. My daddy is from Sheffield England and he sounds just like you."

I know there is probably already a thread that has addressed this but I was in a Shop in Blue Ash, Ohio, USA last week and someone walked up to me and said "Are you from Sheffield". Of course I took it as a great compliment I have been out of Sheffield 18 years but also, it must be a distinctive accent. Anyone else had a similar experience?

I was in a lift once in New York and talking to a relative. This man in the lift said " Are you from Sheffield ?" I said "Yes" and found out that he was also from Sheffield and there on holiday.

My sister is married to a man from Surrey. With years of imitating the Sheffield accent, he does quite a good impression. The two of them were on holiday in France and were having a jokey conversation and he said, "Yer dozy chuff!"

A bloke on the next table turned to him and said, "Excuse me mate, are you from Sheffield?"

The thing I missed most of all after coming to Oz, was the fact that no one spoke like me, but when I went to work in a steelworks for a few years, it seemed that every Pommie was from around the Sheffield area.

I then got a job in the coalmines, it was just like being back in Yorkshire, as the majority of the blokes came from Yorkshire, it's not only the accent, the sense of humour of Yorkshire people is far superior to any other I've known, they know how to laugh at themselves and are very quick witted.

hiya i remember in 1961 i remember the year it was the year my wife and i were wed,we were asked at short notice to go on holiday to north wales, on the sunday one of the family said there are no pubs open in wales on sundayso we decided to go to liverpool for a couple of pints,before we set off he said i'll take you to a smashing pub i know when we get there, when we got there we found it had been pulled down so we went to look for somewear else when we were having a drink in this new found pub i had just come back from the bar when i heard a voice say" naar then thee wat thar doin heer," it was someone i had known all my life,i said we were on holiday from the day before, and he said that this was his last night of his holiday, he had started his break a fortnight before by touring around england on his motorbike and just stopped there for b/b.

just shows you cant get away if you wanted to, not that i would.

My MD, although Sheffield born and bred, attended a very expensive private boarding school in Harrogate, as far as I am concerned, he speaks with a Queen's English accent. Our receptionist inadvertantly put one of his calls through to me, the guy on the other end of the line rambled on as if we were the best of friends. When I told him that he was talking to the wrong man, he replied, "Well this is extraordinary, you sound just like him". I have a strong Sheffield accent, the mind boggles. :confused:

Archived