A Flock Of Seagulls Plug 30th Aug

jazzamatazz

SHEFFIELD

PLUG

Sunday-30-Aug

A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS

£14.00

19:00:00

As well-known for their bizarrely teased haircuts as well as they massive hit singles "I Ran (So Far Away)," and “Wishing”. Growing out of the synth-heavy and ruthlessly stylish new romantic movement, A Flock of Seagulls were catapulted to success by heavy rotation on MTV In the summer of 1982. Their sleek dance-pop firmly rooted them into the 80’s movement, and are now back to tour again in 2009.

Hairdresser Mike Score (lead vocals, keyboards) formed A Flock of Seagulls with his brother Ali (drums) and fellow hairdresser Frank Maudsley (bass) in 1980, adding guitarist Paul Reynolds several months later. The group released its debut EP on Cocteau Records early in 1981, and while the record failed to chart, its lead track, "Telecommunication," became an underground hit in Euro-disco and new wave clubs. The band signed a major-label contract with Jive by the end of the year, and their eponymous debut album appeared in the spring of 1982. "I Ran (So Far Away)" was released as the first single from the album, and MTV quickly picked up on its icily attractive video, which featured long shots of Mike Score and his distinctive, cascading hair. The single climbed into the American Top Ten, taking the album along with it. In the U.K., "I Ran" didn't make the Top 40, but "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)" reached number ten later that year; in America, that single became a Top 40 hit in 1983, after "Space Age Love Song" peaked at number 30. "Wishing" was taken from the group's second album, Listen (1983), which was moderately successful.

http://www.myspace.com/aflockofseagulls

http://www.the-plug.com

Cor blimey - there's a name from the past! New Romantics never die they just...er...go bald.....

"Wishing" was taken from the group's second album, Listen (1983), which was moderately successful.

How English a press release is that? Were they American it would probably read " "Wishing" was taken from the group's second album, Listen (1983), which was a world wide smash, yielding massive hit singles and a round the world sell-out tour."

Having said all that, I doubt I'll be going. I prefer to remember the bands of my youth

Archived