Has anyone read 'The Northern Clemency" by Philip Hensher?

I've just finished reading a novel entitled "The Northern Clemency" by Philip Hensher. 2008. Knopf, N.Y. It caught my eye in the local bookstore as I noted that the setting is Sheffield. It also bore a sticker declaring that it was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize.

A family moves from London to Sheffield, Broomhill area, following the career of the breadwinner - the man of the house, naturally. The lives of the neighbors on the street and how they intersect with those of the newcomers form the main themes of the book. Set in the 70s, the characters, or at least some of them, grapple with the harshness of the Thatcher years, particularly the Miners' strike.The storyline is a simple one and were it not for the richness of the narrative, could be regarded as unremarkable. But, this author makes the book a page turner just by virtue of his penmanship. He is able to capture the thoughts and feelings that churn around inside the heads of seemingly ordinary people in a way that allows the reader to identify with them. "I know exactly what he or she is driving at," I found myself saying over and again. Then, his use of imagery brings added life to the narrative. "As if" and "like" are the two most common phrases in the book, used to powerful effect. A serious tone, occasionally tinged with beautifully understated humor.

In the end, I enjoyed this book, not because it was set in Sheffield. It could have been set anywhere. I enjoyed it because it was so well written.

Just thought I'd pass along these comments in case anyone might be interested in reading it. Has anyone btw?

• 4 weeks later...

I've not read this one (yet) but I think Hopman mentioned on another thread that he'd 'waded through it'; I wonder what he thought of it.

I must admit some of the reviews put me off, on the Amazon website they could be best described as 'mixed'. Some do share RogG's view that it's a good book but there are other reviews that are less complimentary.

Some professional reviews below.

Alfred Hickling's review in the The Guardian.

Rachel Cooke's review in The Observer.

The subject matter in the book is not something I would normally read, however my interest is piqued enough to find out more so I may get hold of a copy.

I'll add a review when I've finished reading it - bearing in mind at 700 pages long this is a big novel, it could be some months down the line though!

We read this as one of our Book Group choices. The thread is here in case you're interested:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=358257

although it wasn't discussed online, but at the pub!

It drew a mixed reaction. Some liked it purely for the Sheffield references, but, one person thought the characters cliched, and another just found the whole thing dreary. Personally, I found chunks of it hard work, but ultimately, a few days after completing it, I decided that I had got something out of it. I think it was one that benefited from a bit of discussion afterwards.

ps the next book we're reading is Persepolis, to be discussed next wednesday.

Thks for your feedback, Manta and Ron. A book is like a piece of art or music in the sense that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was, of course, unaware that there is a book club that meets regularly and that this book has already been discussed by its members.

I understand the criticisms you've mentioned, Ron. I also read over the book reviews you posted, Manta.

My views are more in line with:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/26/AR2008112603555.html

and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/3672193/Shifting-from-voice-to-voice.html

My admiration of the book is in the richness of the narrative, though I did enjoy the many characters - middle class,for the most part unconcerned about pressing matters of the day, idiosyncratic. The plot, if there was one, was a bit soap opera-ish - deliberately so, I felt.

In any event, it's always good to hear alternate opinions. Thanks again.

I'll be visiting Sheffield in August. If your book club is meeting then, perhaps I can drop by (?)

Archived