So who is the worst Prime Minister ever?

Who is Britains worst recent Prime Minister  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Britains worst recent Prime Minister

• Gordon Brown
    • Tony Blair
    • John Major
    • Margaret Thatcher
    • James Callaghan
    • Harold Wilson
    • Edward Heath
    • Sir Alec Douglas-Home
    • Harold Macmillan
    • Sir Anthony Eden
    • Sir Winston Churchill
    • Clement Attlee

Did it not take 'spine and guts' for Blair to face down the left of his party when seeking power (which was most of the membership) and then once in power lie the country into a deeply unpopular war?

You could look at it the opposite way, that the left of the party put aside its values on the promise of power.

You're not confusing stuck up and selfish with cultured are you?

That’s a bit of a huge assumption. In fact Thatcher’s popularity rose in the country after the miners’ strike. Juts places like Sheffield that backed the wrong (Marxist) horse disliked her.

Maybe raising the red flag over Sheffield was the wrong thing to do.

In that case your rather aggressive stance, calling people stuck up and selfish just because they don't come from an industrial working class city, is rather peculiar.

I think anyone who reads the posts will quickly establish that accusing me of that makes you just another lying troll.

Indeed - the mess now is not the result of Brown's one-eyed fumblings over the last few months,m it is the result of a decade of Labour incompetence under Blair's PMship.

However, blair for all of his loathesome falseness and self-centred agenda did at least have some charisma and appeal to the naive unwashed voters - whereas Brown's utter lack of charm, talent or leadership place him in a class of his own, at least for the last 60 years.

And now we have the exact opposite waiting to happen. Blair, with all his charisma and appeal took on the bland and helpless John Major and ripped him apart. And now the roles are reversed, with Cameron's orchestrated wooing of the public annihilating Brown's sullen acceptance of failure.

Whilst I don't doubt that, just as Blair did, Cameron's claims will amount to no more than lip service, and I would never vote Conservative, I can't deny he is an exceptional speaker, he's incredibly motivating and likeable as a person (or seemingly at least), if only he wasn't the voice of a party that is ultimately evil.

Against some pretty tough opposition, I'd have to say Brown.

Just watched PMQs and Brown is pathologically incapable of giving anything like an honest answer.

Instead, he just keeps repeating his Dalekesque mantra, "Getting on with the job" blah, blah. His only response to direct questions from Cameron was crap like "We are leading the world out of recession." (so utterly laughable he should be shot just for that). Another lie was "Helping keep people in their homes." This on the day when it was revealed that just TWO homeowners have been helped by the Mortgage Rescue Scheme since its launch in January.

We are all in for many years of strife while this lot swan off to Europe, directorships etc.

One final point. How dare the politicians eat into the 30 minutes of PMQs with their weekly crocodile tears over the latest Forces deaths? Hypocracy over this illegal and unfounded war means they shold be tried for treason.

That’s a bit of a huge assumption. In fact Thatcher’s popularity rose in the country after the miners’ strike. Juts places like Sheffield that backed the wrong (Marxist) horse disliked her.

Maybe raising the red flag over Sheffield was the wrong thing to do.

Read the reply in the context of the post I was replying to. You can hardly equate voting Thatcher with being 'cultured' given that she syetematically slashed funding from arts and culture/creative related education. The further implication that working class people are incapable of being 'cultured' while people who voted Thatcher automatically are, is the worst kind of feeble brained deluded snobbery.

The thing with Blair is he did a lot of good, which seems to have been forgotten. National Minimum Wage being one example. Tax credits being another. Pensioners became better off under Blair too (I remember my elderly aunt, who always lived in poverty, but under Labour got various extras which meant she was reasonably comfortable).

The problem is that Blair took us into two wars that nobody wanted. In particular the Iraq war, which has cost nearly 200 British lives. And caused unmeasurable suffering for the people in Iraq. And, maybe, made Britain a target for terrorists for years to come. All this on the basis of a lie about WMD that didn't exist.

So when history looks back on Blair, his legacy won't be the Northern Ireland peace process, or any of the other good things he did. It will be the Iraq war, the lies, the whitewash and the cover ups.

Blair made Labour electable again. Then he screwed it up big time.

At least when Thatcher sent young men to die, it was for a reason.

The thing with Blair is he did a lot of good, which seems to have been forgotten. National Minimum Wage being one example. Tax credits being another. Pensioners became better off under Blair too (I remember my elderly aunt, who always lived in poverty, but under Labour got various extras which meant she was reasonably comfortable).

The problem is that Blair took us into two wars that nobody wanted. In particular the Iraq war, which has cost nearly 200 British lives. And caused unmeasurable suffering for the people in Iraq. And, maybe, made Britain a target for terrorists for years to come. All this on the basis of a lie about WMD that didn't exist.

So when history looks back on Blair, his legacy won't be the Northern Ireland peace process, or any of the other good things he did. It will be the Iraq war, the lies, the whitewash and the cover ups.

Blair made Labour electable again. Then he screwed it up big time.

At least when Thatcher sent young men to die, it was for a reason.

The National minimum wage was one of the factors behind businesses relocating outside the UK and taking hundreds of thousands of jobs with them.

In 1997 Brown/Blair put a tax on pension fund dividends which has so far robbed our funds of over £60 billion. It means that people reliant on a private pension are going to be far far poorer than they imagined.

Everything Blair/Brown did had a huge price in build up of debt. That debt is now hanging like a millstone around our necks and that of our children. We will be paying the price for the next 30 years, for the illusional affluence that the pair of them created.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. They are now bringing the bill.

The frightening thing about Blair was, when he took us to war he was on a religious crusade, he thought god was telling him to attack the muslems, the man was certifiable.

The current bloke with his presbiterian values isn't a lot better. What are we doing electing religious morons.

Follow a religion if you so desire but keep it as far away from politics as possible

Archived