St.Vincent's Solly Street.

I went to St Josephs myself but had friends who went to St Vicents. Charles Mills, Denis? Axilby, and Lawrence Anderton who had a sister called Debbie. They would have left in the late 60's. A very good family friend went there called Margaret Foster, lives in Lincolnshire now. I will try a post a picture on here of the place as it is now, if I fail then I will put it under Photography on the Sheffield Interest Groups as 'St Vincents'.

Yes Bro Smith was there from 1927 in the old St Vincents then moved up to St Joe's on Howard Hill were Ibelieve he finished his days.

If they are still paying off the new St Vincents what Happened to the money from St Joe's. Before you say it . The church belong to the Sissters.

No its all about how much money they can waste.

Edited by Odd Job Man

I left St Vincent's in 1962 to go to St Paul's. I remember "Pop" Smith "Sweeney Todd" , and yes Brother Smith did like flicking ears.Mrs Golota taught me in J4. She transferred to St Paul's as did Mr Wilson and Mr Griffiths. I think the teacher who always wore a hat , a very large one, and gaberdine might have been "Noddy" Hosty, who ended up teaching maths at the old Richmond College. Very happy days

• 4 weeks later...

If they are still paying off the new St Vincents what Happened to the money from St Joe's. Before you say it . The church belong to the Sissters.

No its all about how much money they can waste.

The site at St Joseph's was bought by the parish of St Vincent's from the Sisters. The land and the churches of St Vincent (Solly Street) St Joseph's, Our Ladies (Crookes) St Micheal's (Rivelin) were all owned by the parish.

St Vincent's parish was actually under the Vincentian priests- so all decisions were made in Dublin, till the last priests left in 1996. When they left they gave all the churches and the land to the parish.

Therefore the selling of the land and any monies raised is collected by the parish. The new building plus the land had to be paid for and so the car parks became a valuable asset. Since then much of the money raised by the car parks have been given by the parish to charity- but the decisions are made by the finance committee made up of people who live and practise in the parish, not the diocese or the Parish Priest on his own.

I understand that the land down in Solly Street and its use is currently being reviewed. So you see it is not the Catholic church taking money and stashing it under the bed- the money has been used well, wisely and responsibly and benefitted a number of people.