St.Vincent's Solly Street.

I went to St Vincent's 1958 until St Pauls opend. sister Cecilia !!! had a bit of a temper I remember her caning every girl in the school because somone talked in line. I was also in the chior which I loved.

• 5 months later...

I went there until it closed. Remember Sweeney Todd the headmaster, Mr Walsh science teacher, Pop Smith who used to teach us to make wooden clappers of The Owls or The Blades. Mrs Ainsworth English. Who was the teacher in the hut outside always looked miserable. Anyone remember Sylvana Nicoli? my first love.

• 3 months later...

Oh, my lord! St. Vincent's. How could I forget. I well remember Mr. Sweeney,(and the looong wait outside his office when waiting for punishment), Mr. Smith who tried in vain to teach me math (I learned it later, but I had to teach myself). I wonder if anybody remembers the model he made of the church. There was even a picture of it in the newspaper. Mr. Walsh who was the science teacher, and was always in a really bad mood when he had his hair cut. I never figured if getting his hair cut put him in a bad mood. or if that 's when he got it cut. He did have a neat microscope with a screen on the end you could look at to see things swimming around in pond water, etc. Mr. Hosty who actually taught me to love the English language. I still remember him going on about the Canterbury tales. Mr. Veal (Meatballs), who taught me to play the recorder, and something about history. I left there in 1960 and joined the army. Ah yes (not so), fond memories.

my mother went to st vincents and her brothers john frank my mum mary burbeary,mum in obout 1925 john and frank before thay lived at num 5 daisy walk untill thay moved to the woodthorpe in about 1930 ish

I used to have a friend called Darrel Burbeary. Any relation?

• 1 month later...

I attended st vincents rc school but left in 1960 bit before your time,girls & boys were in seperate class rooms & seperate playgrounds & woe betide you if you were caught fraternising with any of the opposite sex.the teachers i remember were,mrs arrowsmith, miss curley,miss ohara,sister lucy,

& sister cecelia she was lovely.

• 1 month later...

I attended st vincents from 1949 to 1958 and i remember all the teachers you mention and sister lucy and sister cecelia. i got married at st vincents church in 1964 and sister cecelia sang solo, she had a lovely voice.the girls in my class were, linda bassett, maureen boyle,josephine kenny,gabriele doyle,margaret walsh,kathleen beresford. My name is josephine taff(nee hinchcliffe)i know i left two years before you but do you remember any of the names.:wave:

I attended st vincents rc school but left in 1960 bit before your time,girls & boys were in seperate class rooms & seperate playgrounds & woe betide you if you were caught fraternising with any of the opposite sex.the teachers i remember were,mrs arrowsmith, miss curley,miss ohara,sister lucy,

& sister cecelia she was lovely.

I went to St Josephs from 1967 -1962. We had MIss Curley and Mrs Arrowsmith for a while teaching there. Miss Curley took the second Reception class. She was my 1st teacher there.

• 7 months later...

I realise this is an old thread about St Vincent's in general but I thought it was worth adding to it because I have put a new post on the Forum regarding the Presbytery which explains the folloiwng:

I am currently researching the history of St Vincent's Presbytery, which was built in 1878. It was sold and became Provincial House Business Centre in 1983. There have been various publications about St Vincent's Church and surrounding area - the main ones being written by Ted Cummings and Vincent Hale. I am focussing on researching the history of the actual Presbytery and the priests who lived and visited here. I would like to hear from anyone who visited the Presbystery, has any interesting anecdotes about it or the priests who lived there or memorabilia e.g. photos. Thank you.