Pubs in town that are a disgrace

Dont think you should be taking a 10 year old into a pub

depends on the pub really.

i take mine to some of the weatherspoons, but only in the day and never at night and its only for some food then out again. we dont hang around and my kids dont make any noise they sit eat and leave. we dont even have alcohol when we take our kids. and its very rare.

and i always phone to make sure children are welcomed.

i would never take them to our local pubs at darnall :gag:

I think some people have missed bladegirl's original point.

She clearly wasn't talking about taking her 10-year old into one of these pubs; when referring to the Banker's she was saying how shocked and disgusted she was simply walking past it. At the end of the day we're talking about the city centre here, and I totally agree that to have to encounter such scum hanging around outside a city centre pub in the early afternoon is simply not on.

I work near the Banker's and the last time I went in there (over a year ago now) was on my lunch break with my partner and her sister. We were told if we wanted food we'd have to wait at least an hour. Why? "Well, er, we actually don't have any food in at the moment, we're still waiting for an order."

Says it all really!

english not being my first language maybe i'm missing the point here. perhaps if someone defines or gives examples of said 'scum' i'd understand the trajectory of this thread better.

'Scum' is one of the mis and over-used words in the language.

In this case it's largely being used to mean people someone doesn't like the look of; i.e. probably poor, cheaply and poorly dressed, tattoed, 'odd' looking, may well have cheap flashy jewellery and smoke and drink heavily.

In this case it's largely being used to mean people someone doesn't like the look of; i.e. probably poor, cheaply and poorly dressed, tattoed, 'odd' looking, may well have cheap flashy jewellery and smoke and drink heavily.

Whats odd looking?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

i see. so by that definiton would it be right for those looked on as 'scum' to look on those who look at them as 'scum' because they don't like how they look, dress etc? funny you should bring the 'poor' thing. i saw a student throwing up on the street and damn near falling in front of a moving cab the other night, wednesday, but the cops kind of laughed, shrugged and made some comment about the next day's lectures being hard work. friday night some guy outside bedroom was doing exactly the same. he woke up in a holding cell i'm sure. confusing, but now i see it's because this guy was 'scum' and hanging around where 'scum' hangs around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

i see. so by that definiton would it be right for those looked on as 'scum' to look on those who look at them as 'scum' because they don't like how they look, dress etc? funny you should bring the 'poor' thing. i saw a student throwing up on the street and damn near falling in front of a moving cab the other night, wednesday, but the cops kind of laughed, shrugged and made some comment about the next day's lectures being hard work. friday night some guy outside bedroom was doing exactly the same. he woke up in a holding cell i'm sure. confusing, but now i see it's because this guy was 'scum' and hanging around where 'scum' hangs around.

Zion, I think you have misunderstood me; it's not a word I use myself and my attempt to define it was based around the usage of it that I have seen on this thread and elsewhere on SF.

I try not to judge othere on their appearance. I tend to form my opinions of others on what they say and what they do. Calling one's fellow human beings 'scum' because they look different is a pretty poor way of carrying on.

Archived