Orphanage

There's also an orthanage building, (now flats) still standing, however this is down at West bar, just on the roundabout.

You are thinking of the "workhouse"/ men's hostel" thing which has the 7-Spices Balti in the basement.

That building was never an orphanage. To my knowledge, it was used as a sort of "doss house" for itinerant male workers, many years ago.

Does anyone know of the orphanage very close to Jessops Hospital in 1960/70, trying to find out the name.

Why are you trying to find out? Are you tracing your family history? PM me if you are,I've traced my family back to the 1600s so I can probably give you some tips.

I have a friend who was adopted from an orphanage near the Jessops hospital, he doesn't have much to go on, but thought if we could find out the name of the orphanage...then maybe we could trace records to find his birth parents. He has very little to go on as he has no family left now.

Why are you trying to find out? Are you tracing your family history? PM me if you are,I've traced my family back to the 1600s so I can probably give you some tips.

id love to trace my family history but havent got a clue where to start is it hard ?

id love to trace my family history but havent got a clue where to start is it hard ?

My sister and I have been tracing our family tree, and have managed to get back to about 1800 which is only a great-great-great or two, but we have found it very interesting. (and somewhat addictive! Be warned!!! :D )

there are magazines and websites to help you start off. There used to be information given on the "Who Do You Think You Are?" TV programme about where to look.

I believe that there are also local genealogical (family tree) groups in many areas.

good luck!

Archived