Did anyone work at the Infirmary 60s / 70s?

Bit too late for you, but a few months into nurse training I was on ward 6a female orthopaedic, in 79. I hated it and quit. The Royal and the Hallamshire had been nice, but the infirmary finished me off. It wasnt just the "underground" across to the canteen when on nights, or the cockroaches, but the nasty bullying senior nursing staff.

• 3 months later...
Yes big bloke don't know if he is alive still.

sadly fred died just before christmas 2004,he fell over and broke his hip, never recovered

fred was a great bloke, he was in the R A F for some time,i introduced him to the internet and he actually got in touch with an old friend in the middle of africa,he couldnt believe it.

he was known to every one as pot fred, a very fine gentle man

sadly fred died just before christmas 2004,he fell over and broke his hip, never recovered

fred was a great bloke, he was in the R A F for some time,i introduced him to the internet and he actually got in touch with an old friend in the middle of africa,he couldnt believe it.

he was known to every one as pot fred, a very fine gentle man

I have just passed the news on to Mum and Dad who were very upset by the news - although they had not seen each other for a number of years they always exchanged xmas cards and Mum just said that she had not seen a card from Pot Fred for a couple of years.

Dad was also in Africa and I know they were always sharing 'service stories'

do you know the family to pass on their belated respects? -

I have just passed the news on to Mum and Dad who were very upset by the news - although they had not seen each other for a number of years they always exchanged xmas cards and Mum just said that she had not seen a card from Pot Fred for a couple of years.

Dad was also in Africa and I know they were always sharing 'service stories'

do you know the family to pass on their belated respects? -

i see his ex wife some times down tesco, his son took the car and furniture,sorry do not have address for him, fred had a series of misshaps over the last few years he was here, he hired a car in greece,and went over a cliff,came back plastered up,broken hip and arm, went abroad again,same thing happened,came back in plaster, fell over outside the white rails,i took him to the ngh,broke his wrist and arm, fell over again outside white rails,.........never came home, he was a well known gentle man,most days he would call in at totley, or dore for a pint,then work his way back to the rails, a few years ago he had me chopping down a small tree that had grown up in the middle of his mates grave up at loxley cemetery, fred was cremated at city road,aged 82 , a proper gent.....:sad:

• 2 years later...

I used to drink with Fred in the 'Rails' after work at the Infirmary, but usually on Saturday afternoons. He was a true gentleman with his white hair, always well dressed. He used to be the rear gunner in Lancasters during the war. My father Cyril Southwell was also ex-RAF and I'd prop the end of the bar up listening to them exchange stories and experiences.

I used to drink with Fred in the 'Rails' after work at the Infirmary, but usually on Saturday afternoons. He was a true gentleman with his white hair, always well dressed. He used to be the rear gunner in Lancasters during the war. My father Cyril Southwell was also ex-RAF and I'd prop the end of the bar up listening to them exchange stories and experiences.

Unfortunately, Dad passed away since this thread started back in '06 but I am sure I remember him speak of a Cyril in the RAF.

He had some happy times in the 'Rails'

His name was Nelson (Stuart) Melluish

Bit too late for you, but a few months into nurse training I was on ward 6a female orthopaedic, in 79. I hated it and quit. The Royal and the Hallamshire had been nice, but the infirmary finished me off. It wasnt just the "underground" across to the canteen when on nights, or the cockroaches, but the nasty bullying senior nursing staff.

Maybe you worked with me- I worked on 6a the winter of 78/79. Shame you didn't settle- I was just finishing my training then, and absolutely loved the Infirmary- spent some of the happiest years of my life there.

There were some nasty, bullying staff- but you get them everywhere.

• 6 years later...

Want To Find A Burial Plot Or Person Buried In Loxley Cemetery?

Data CD’s & Maps containing the Parish Of Bradfield Burials At Loxley Congregation Chapel (Lower Cemetery Only due to the Upper Cemetery still accepting burials) are available from the below at a cost of £5.00 sterling (including P&P).

Bradfield Historical Society

c/o 27 Chase Road

Loxley

Sheffield

S6 6RA

Because the Upper Cemetery is still accepting new burials the records for this section are only available to view by appointment at;

John Fairest Funeral Directors

10/56 Penistone Road North

Sheffield

S6 1LQ

0114 234 3129