The Woolworth building, what was there before?

Hi and thanks to you all. Memories are like gold nuggets, hard to find but priceless when they appear!

I think that the woolworths stores (old and new) on different sites were throwing me a little but now it has all slotted together like a jig saw. I still have a blank regarding the inside of the market hall though:confused:

Brian

[quote=Benbow;

I still have a blank regarding the inside of the market hall though:

Me too Brian, I remember the fountain and the steel mugs, but that's all, the Woolies on the 40's picture is the one I grew up with, although I saw the other when I visited in 92.

Someone mentioned Bunnies, I think they were the first store in Sheffield to sell jeans ?

The later store was built on the site of the demolished Market Hall, not sure exactly when - early 1960s ? and is now occupied by Wilkinsons.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s16969.jpg

I can certainly remember when the Woolworths in the above picture was Woolco. However, when did the Woolco close?

Wasnt there an exit in Woolco that brought you out onto a long balcony on Dixon Lane? If I remember rightly if you walked along right to the end, didnt it lead into the Sheaf Market?

I can certainly remember when the Woolworths in the above picture was Woolco. However, when did the Woolco close?

Wasnt there an exit in Woolco that brought you out onto a long balcony on Dixon Lane? If I remember rightly if you walked along right to the end, didnt it lead into the Sheaf Market?

yes the gallery went all the way from BHS and the bridge at the top of Haymarket, down past woolco (Now Wilkinsons) and along the shopping area up on both sides of the gallery above Exchange street. there were Boutiques, a hairdressers, a sewing machine shop, a crafters and cake-making accessories shop, and a couple of cafés (the Galley? and Café international)) as well as access to the upper storeys of the shoe shop (Timpsons) British Home Stores, and Woolco.

There were steps down from the gallery onto a lower gallery above sheaf Market, where there was a butchers and the rear entrance to Woolco, then a ramp and steps down into the Sheaf market. (though that was on the Exchange St side of Woolco)

there was also the bridge that ran down Dixon lane side of Woolco which led to the same place, the rear entrance of Woolco and the Sheaf Market

Hi and thanks to you all. Memories are like gold nuggets, hard to find but priceless when they appear!

I think that the woolworths stores (old and new) on different sites were throwing me a little but now it has all slotted together like a jig saw. I still have a blank regarding the inside of the market hall though:confused:

Brian

There are just a couple of photos of the interior in the 1950s.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s01855

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s01856

I mostly remember the rabbits and chickens in the basement.

Is BHS closed there? The Woolworths and BHS were both there in 1968. I was a trainee manager for BHS. In charge of a floor. Lots of people got us mixed up selling similar clothing at the time. The building was only a couple of years old.

Is BHS closed there? The Woolworths and BHS were both there in 1968. I was a trainee manager for BHS. In charge of a floor. Lots of people got us mixed up selling similar clothing at the time. The building was only a couple of years old.

The BHS closed down a few years ago, it reopened briefly as a "BHS outlet" where they sold end-of-line stock.

It then became a shoe clearance place, and now, sadly that has been closed down for at least five or six years, if my memory serves me well.

The building still stands, albeit looking a little forlorn these days.

Archived