Does anyone remember Proctor's Furniture Shop ?

I seem to remember being taken to Proctor's furniture shop which was on Fargate. It was below W.H.Smith's which was then a branch of Arthur Davy the grocer. I believe that it was a very high class store.

I remember Mrs. Proctor and her friends frequenting Broomhill after I had left school and was starting my working career.

I worked there in 1960 for a few months, my job on a weekend was the lift attendant, and general dogs body in the week, it was very much like the shop in the TV show [Are you being served] except it was all furniture and carpets etc.

It was only Proctors by name at that time, they had another shop down from the Brunswick pub called I think John Peters, they were the names of the son's of the owner of the shops.

Proctors shop also used Proctors furniture removalist trucks for their deliveries, so it looked like it was a big company.

Archived