Anyone with Brightside Foundry connections?

Got an elderly aunt who may have worked there during and after the Second World War. Think she met her future husband there - he was a driver after leaving the army in '45 (stationed in Iceland of all places)! I recall my aunt talking about sand moulds for shells - think she had some responsibility for the quality / density of the moulds? Albert and Doreen Corton ring any bells?

A shot in the dark here - my Grandfather, Abraham Gregory lived in Grimesthorpe and later at Firth Park on The Oval he was a boilermaker. His wife was Ada (nee White). Their daughter was Hilda and their son was Harold, he was a moulder? at Hadfields for many years and had a bad stammer.

Brian

Thanks for the responses so far, I'll tell him and ask if he remembers anyone.

It was (I believe) the Ecclesfield one, although my other grandfather, Bob Skelton, worked as a draftsman at the Newhall foundry.

Another request from him (Brian) whilst I'm on - does anybody from the Ecclesfield foundry remember George Dearden?

EDIT: I'm wrong, both my grandfathers were at Ecclesfield

Edited by Captain Slow
Correction.

Which Foundry ?, Newhall or Ecclesfield, I was at Newhall from 64 untill they shuttered Her and the names are not familliar.

She mentioned Grange Lane - was that the Ecclesfield Foundry? By the way her maiden name was Brown. Not sure where her husband was a driver - could have been at either plant or even travelling between 'em? Wonder if they are remembered by anyone? - my aunt is in her mid / late 80's now but can recall quite vivdly her working days, particularly during the War when a slip of a kid! She was given a quite responsible job to replace a guy who'd been called up - something regarding the technical side of moulds / sand quality / density etc? Not sure having never worked in such a place myself.:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My name is Donald Thacker and I worked at Brightside Foundry Ecclesfield. Left in 1965 to emigrate to Australia. I was a turner in the machine shop and my father Raymond Thacker worked as a patternmaker for more than forty years. He also left to come to Australia