The disc jockey cafe on london road 1963-66 and famingo on abbeydale rd

sue the strange woman who ran it must have really put up with some crap, as three schoolgirls with no money ,we went in almost every night with 1 bottle if coke to last all night so we could listen to the juke box and eye the lads up, in our black outfits almost white faces black eyeliner and boufont hair

which was eventually blonde[ my mate looked like dusty springfield] we surely were a sight to behold. we were barbara dot and linda

it was a rockers place, and some very nice lads went there. contrary to popular belief there was never any trouble that i know of, the mods went the other end of town.

I spent a lot of nights in the jockey and mingo in1961-3 we were ton up boys racing from one to the other and sometimes up to the cross sythes to watch ray stewart aka frankinstein and the monsters,unfortunatly one or two never made it back.Thats where my user name comes from,yes you lot out there I'm still around and still riding!

i remember a really bad accident on what was th new road near millhouses two lads hit a lamppost and got killed 0on the way back from cross scythes, there were hundreds at the funeral on city rd all on bikes.

that was a bad time but mostly it was a good laugh. "relationships" didnt last long the lads with the best bikes being most in favour.

I was once on the back of a bonni coming down attercliffe common about 1am doing 100 . i heard this tinkling sound getting louder.

the police in the car following us were not impressed. especially as i was wearing a skirt cardigan and sandals no helmet.

strange i never saw that lad again. i think his name was vic

sue the strange woman who ran it must have really put up with some crap, as three schoolgirls with no money ,we went in almost every night with 1 bottle if coke to last all night so we could listen to the juke box and eye the lads up, in our black outfits almost white faces black eyeliner and boufont hair

which was eventually blonde[ my mate looked like dusty springfield] we surely were a sight to behold. we were barbara dot and linda

it was a rockers place, and some very nice lads went there. contrary to popular belief there was never any trouble that i know of, the mods went the other end of town.

Not that you were to know, but you are keeping me awake. Ever since you posted, I've been racking my brains for a mental image of Barbara, Dot and Linda in the Flamingo with no result. I was a regular customer at the Flamingo between 1964 and late 1965 so on the law of averages our paths must have crossed, given also that you attended Jordanthorpe which would meen you were resident on that side of the city, as I was, would make it even more likely, so rabbit on with a few more details, if only to let me get some sleep.

PETE

a whole gang of us went to see the beatles hard days night at the abbeydale pictures, i think we went to see to sir with love as well,and possibly summer holiday. this adds up to about half of my visits to a cinema. i wasnt too keen [boring]i only went because everyone else was going.

didnt the Stork brothers own the flamingo, i quite liked one of them but he was older than me , and i think he had a sports car, way out of my league. i saw him in a pub in town one day he had something to do with the juke box and 1 arm bandit. he remembered me.

did you know roy pugh or his mate phil. roy was at the tech in pond st in 1964. he went with linda for a while. had a pink and white consul.

phil did an old austin or ford up and put stickers of pistons on the outside. it set on fire on the way back from fox house. happy days

linda and i were town girls dot woodseats, i lived near shoreham st, linda queens rd

linda was the pretty one small blonde nice clothes usually had money. dot had short dark hair very long eylashes she liked to flutter at you. i had mousy curly [unruly] haira bit plump at first but i did slim down except for the one feature that has plagued me all my life. ive always had ample chest muscles[lol], i was poor, my mum preferred guinness fags and bingo to housekeeping and child rearing, so i was a bit bedraggled at the side of my contemporaries. i was always dubbed the one with personality. but i soon grew up,and changed myself into the granny i have now become.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go to the Flamingo at that time; it was run by three brothers, Mike, Malcolm, and Nicky Senior. Mike and Malcolm now run a printing business on Abbeydale Road. Mike was the pinball wizard and was nearly always playing the pin table when you went in, Malcolm had a blue Mini Cooper and I think Neil Bates a mechanic at the time, with a workshop at the side of the old quarry on Chesterfield road modified the cylinder head and fitted two twin choke webber carbs with large bell mouths that stuck through the dash board into the car.

A few more here you may have known Bullerboy.

I remember Trevor Drew he had a MGA sports car, and Tom Sales he was a Norton man like myself and David Oldham (AKA HONDA BABY) he had a Honda, Bonneville, Rocket Gold Star and Tiger 110, he married a girl called Judy but they got divorced some years later. Their was Colin and Geoff Pick, Mick Undy a train driver had a Bonneville, a lad Johnny, from I think Handsworth was a Norton man, Pete Beck tall guy about 6ft 7inches. Graham and his girlfriend Gwen, and Ivan Cooper he had a international Norton.