Downtempo Club nights

gmacewan

Hi

There's very few spots in Sheffield for downtempo beats and hip hop/funk tackle. Club-wise, there's not too much going on at all due to venue problems. The Tuesday Club is probably your best bet as a club night, which happens weekly at the University of Sheffield Union of Students, yes you guessed it.. every Tuesday. International live acts/DJs in the realms of hip hop, funk, electronica and drum & bass every week too. It is good. You've also got Phonetics, currently a monthly do, at the Stars venue on Queens Rd. This is perhaps more on the soul side than the beats & breaks side of things, but again is all good with hot international live acts and djs.

Other places: Halcyon Bar (weekdays), The Lescar Hotel (Friday nights).. er, anywhere I play basically! If you drop a post when you're over here I'll be glad to give you more details of stuff going on in our fair city then.

Cheers!

PS. I thoroughly recommend anyone into downtempo sounds and a variety of soulful dance music to check out Bill Brewster's exclusive DJ set at Halcyon Bar this Friday - it's going to be the jump off, as they say. More details in Notices & Events..

Originally posted by JohnM

Is that the author of the very execellent "Last Night A DJ Saved my Life" & "How to DJ Properly"?

The very same.. as well as being a top-notch international DJ himself.

Here's the lowdown about Bill and the night, hopefully this is ok as it is on topic, as well as being a bit special!

Friday 27 May 2005

@ Halcyon Bar

113-117 Devonshire Street

Sheffield

S3 7SB

To help celebrate one year since it's snazzy re-launch, Halcyon Bar proudly presents a 3-hour set from one of the UK's finest DJs, dance music experts and heavyweight record collectors:

BILL BREWSTER

Resident DJ @ Fabric, co-author of 'Last Night A DJ Saved My Life' and 'How To DJ (Properly)'

From Ministry Of Sound's biography:

One minute he’s rocking the roof off at Fabric with his tough and funky big-room underground house; the next he’s charming the pants off a more intimate crowd with everything from dubby disco, funk and hip-hop to trip hop and Latin electronica. Armed with a sensitivity and sense of occasion that few DJs possess Bill Brewster knows how to work a crowd in the best possible sense.

Originally a chef, a football pundit (co-editor of fanzine When Saturday Comes) and record collector, Bill began DJing in earnest in the late 80s while living in New York and running DMC’s US operation. He cut his teeth playing ‘Low Life’ warehouse parties in Harlem and the East Village, and anyone hearing Bill today can see how these New York ‘roots’ shine through. For eclecticism, surprises, amazing unique music and sheer long-haul dedication to the dancefloor, Bill’s your man.

His other life is as a writer. Together with long-term pal Frank Broughton, Bill is author of the definitive history of DJing, Last Night A DJ Saved My Life, and has contributed his acid Grimsby wit and encyclopaedic knowledge of music to just about every dance rag there is, not to mention The Guardian, Independent and Mail On Sunday. The Brewster-Broughton double act unveiled their latest hit in 2002 with the uniquely sardonic DJ manual How To DJ (Properly).

He’s an industry insider, having brought Twisted Records to the UK and launched his own highly successful deep house label Forensic. In his spare time he is often found in the studio, either with Fat Camp partner, Theo Noble, re-editing old disco, funk and rock records; or producing original music.

As his hero Kid Creole would say, 'Annie, I'm not your daddy.'

Musical warm-up duties provided by Ian Cracknell (Vibra/7 Hills Records)

8pm - 1am

£3 before 10 / £5 after

http://www.halcyonbar.co.uk

Let's get it on..

Archived