Help!! My cellar is flooded!

MsB's cellar is currently awash with approximately 7 inches of water. It has been there a while now and the whole scene was beginning to resemble a scene from 'Titanic' with various household items floating about.

The water has been tested and (apparently) does not come from Yorkshire water (no chlorine trace) or from a leaky sewer or drain (no potassium or ammonia traces).

I am reliably informed by the other residents nearby that we are situated on or near a natural underground spring and that the cellars flood regularly.

The trouble is - not knowing this when I bought the house I had a freezer, fridge, tumble dryer and all manner of other items down there.

Yesterday was spent bringing out all the sodden items and putting them to dry on the patio. The defrosted food in the freezer has been thrown and now we just need to get the freezer out and see if it is still working - it is only a year since I got it.

My ex-hub used a friends pump to get the water out of a garden pond recently, but on looking at the amount of water in my cellar, told me that it would simply not be up to the job.

So where can I get a pump from and what should I do to try and ensure that this is manageable in the future? It seems we can do nothing about natural water and I am not even sure if I can make an insurance claim on it.

By the way - have had the jokes about bottling and selling it thanks, lol....:rolleyes:

We used to live in Springvale Road (the clue is in the name) and our cellar flooded all the time, there is nothing you can realy do about it unless you line your entire cellar with concrete. We had a false floor system that raised the floor about 10 inches above the real cellar floor, that worked ok most of the time.

Have had that 'floor raising' thing suggested Nick. Trouble is the cellar ceiling is already very low so I'm not sure that could be an option.

But doesn't the fact that the foundations of the house are standing in water for a fair amount of time threaten the building at all??? Can't be good surely?

Originally posted by msbehavin

But doesn't the fact that the foundations of the house are standing in water for a fair amount of time threaten the building at all??? Can't be good surely?

If the foundations are deep enough I think it will be OK, our house was over 50 years old and it didn't seem to be suffering any ill effects. I think if the house was built knowing about the flooding then they will have taken that into account.

I would think that your house insurance will cover you for the damage. Certainly worth checking anyway, as the worst they can say is "no it doesn't".

I suppose you could dig the floor out a bit deeper and then use a false floor, but that probably wouldn't work, as the water level wouldn't be altered by lowering the floor.

It should be possible to seal it, but probably quite difficult/expensive.

Originally posted by nick2

We used to live in Springvale Road (the clue is in the name) and our cellar flooded all the time, there is nothing you can realy do about it unless you line your entire cellar with concrete.

That same spring runs under our business premises on Barber Road. When we've had a lot of rain it comes up through our cellar. It's incredibly clear water. I wonder where it goes from here?

Originally posted by Ousetunes

That same spring runs under our business premises on Barber Road. When we've had a lot of rain it comes up through our cellar. It's incredibly clear water. I wonder where it goes from here?

There is a lot of water involved, and it can only be the rain that falls on Crookes, I wonder if it ever was an actual river/stream ?

Google, here I come.

Archived