What's happened to childhood?

Just remembered another aspect of the 1950/60s childhood that's now gone forever. Being able to rummage around in scrapyards for car badges and insignia. All we got on entry from the owner was, "Be careful lads, and don't go breakin' owt!"

We'd emerge hours later a bit grazed and bedraggled, but with pockets full of chromed insignia from cars such as Austin, Morris, Wolseley, Humber, Hillman, Sunbeam and Triumph....but without leaving any blatant vandalism. We never died nor needed hospitalising.

We used to swap items - "My 'flying 'A' for your Zodiak."

Nowadays even professional adults built like mountains aren't allowed to do this because of health and safety.

So now kids nick them from cars parked in streets.:(

Happy Days Indeed Saxon 51

PopT

Too right Pop.

I don't ever remember having to go near a hospital or doctors due to the regular injuries caused from falling out of trees, falling off the back of buses, getting stung or bitten, friction burns or frozen extremities.

As I said once before, plasters were for cissies and scabs were cool.

Carbolic soap cleaned out grazes, and bread and lard put fat on your ribs.

I ate anything put in front of me, the greasier the better. If it got dropped on the floor, it got washed and eaten ..... and it still tasted good.

As fit as a fiddle and still not been near the hospital ... or the doctors.

I remember at school, any kid with an apple was always requested to 'save us 't core'. I remember one kid asking this of another, and the one with the apple had impetigo. And possibly ringworm. Mucky buggers we were back then.

I remember at school, any kid with an apple was always requested to 'save us 't core'. I remember one kid asking this of another, and the one with the apple had impetigo. And possibly ringworm. Mucky buggers we were back then.

That weekly bath kept us in tip-top condition though, didn't it.:hihi:

Archived