Pitsmoor WMC when did it shut?

• 2 weeks later...
"The snooker tables were still there (although covered in syringes)"

That is really sad to read here, I cannot believe it - whatever happened to Pitsmoor as we all knew?

-----------------------

Hi there, Just spotted Pitsmoor on here, sorry to see the club finished,

i passed a few week ago and all the windows were took out and taking

scaffoldings down, so i think the next stage will be the bulldozzers.

Shame as we use to go in on saturday nights and some times you

couldn't get a seat, one off the best club in Sheffield.:sad::sad:

Don't know what's happening to it but there has been some steady work in progress over the last few months. It's obvious that it's going to open sometime in the near future, but as to what I don't know. One of my memories of the club is that myself and a few mates would go there on a Sunday night in the late sixties and watch the bands, comedians etc. They used to sell a pint of beer called Stones dark mild. It was really dark like guiness and it was the only place I ever saw it sold. It was cheaper than Stones bitter and probably not as good but I think we drank it because of the novelty value. We nicknamed it "Shirley Bassey". Today it would be considered racist but back then it just seemed like a bit of fun. If the "turn" wasn't up to much we would go and sit in the lounge and join in with the singalong to the pianist on the baby grand. On the odd occasion I actually got up and sang myself. This obviously soon emptied the lounge so I got warned off. I seem to remember that they had a large fish tank in the lounge or is it my memory going haywire now?

I also played at snooker and billiards there many times over the years.

Happy memories.

---------- Post added 01-01-2013 at 23:00 ----------

By the way Andypandy, all the best to you and yours. Hope you are keeping well.

Nice memories here...,

I remember the Friday night (I think) raffle and won - I had to get up on't stage to collect it and I thought I was the "bees knees" that night. I also remember the seafood man (Kearnshaws?) when they came in with their wicker baskets and we would buy some cockles or mussels and a bag of kippers fo't Sunday breakfast - happy memories indeed and a life style so long ago - but gone in a such a short time.

Nice memories here...,

I remember the Friday night (I think) raffle and won - I had to get up on't stage to collect it and I thought I was the "bees knees" that night. I also remember the seafood man (Kearnshaws?) when they came in with their wicker baskets and we would buy some cockles or mussels and a bag of kippers fo't Sunday breakfast - happy memories indeed and a life style so long ago - but gone in a such a short time.

----------------

Hi Blade, the seafood man was Kershaw, he went all over the clubs

in sheffield, he would come in Grimesthorpe club in sheffield and first

thing we'd say to him, have you any pork dripping. haha :hihi:

----------------

Hi Blade, the seafood man was Kershaw, he went all over the clubs

in sheffield, he would come in Grimesthorpe club in sheffield and first

thing we'd say to him, have you any pork dripping. haha :hihi:

the other one that did the rounds was Ocean Supreme we always said have you got crabs.

Shame about the Pitsmoor was a member there from 1976, many a good night had in there.

Saw some brilliant acts (and some shockers :) )

Started going down hill from about 1993 for me, not enough custom no money spent on it to keep it up to date.

Archived