Pitsmoor WMC when did it shut?

hi club goers or should that be exclub goers looking at the number of clubs that have closed over the last 10 or 15 i was on the committee of intake sports and social clud for a few years in the late 70s and a time of president for 3 years spent most of my time as concert secretary, putting some of the best artiste's in the county my mate sunny day was one, the very talanted 3 disco's and many more. but now you will be lucky to find one open who would have thought the great dial house would ever close it was more like a night club than a W M C. clubs could not cope with prise rises not just beer, but council tax, staff wages artist'es all wear and tear of furnishings ,insurences any number of things that have to be paid for, then as many members were being made redundant and couldn't afford to come in or go out.

but we had good timeseaster was a good time to attract customers, and christmases people would be queing for a couple of hours to get to thier usual seat you would see the getting bigger and bigger as people pulled more and more seats to thier table to accommodate more relatives, more friends and relatives, aunts uncles, more children thats just some of the reasons there are no more clubs

During the early 60s I remember the annual childrens Pitsmoor Club trip to Cleethorpes by train from Victoria station. We were all given about 5 shillings each to spend and, provided with fish & chips at dinner time. Then while we all queued for the train to come home we were handed a brown paper bag which contained a sandwich, a bun, and a stick of rock. Dont know how I managed it but I used to buy all my family presents to take home as well as spending money in Wonderland! My dad was a member & worked behind the bar. Lovely memories!

• 4 weeks later...

To everyone concerned on this thread regarding Pictsmoor Workingmens Club.

I passed the old club this week on wednesday 30th jan 2013, work is being

done and the roof on the right is finished-brand new, upto now all new

window frames have be put in.

I spoke to a lady that lives near by for many years, she said the Building

is a Kurdish centre for the people as they have know where to go.

I enclose picture if it shows up.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Pitsmoorclub-2013_zps176b5df3.jpg

Archived