My darnall memories

my goodness how nobody remenbers these, ive posted these before without a single reply,club trips run by the horti,and libs, harold sandees a comitee man at the libs, johnny palmer,mick moran the sweet man that sold sweets in the doorway,at the libs, brian bates of the libs, lou the steward, market tom , he slept in the libs sometimes,

the old concert room where gordon burns and george burns worked the concert box, ernest pickering with the pigeons, ( he was on the telly) outside it had a heater on irving street, a louvred system that blew warm air out.

ernest morley and the darnall medical parade, brenda,

the flower show at the horti, reg cruise who was the steward, (i went to school with pamela)

the shops, allens cycles, hindles newsagents, seargents sandwich shop, yeomans, lomases chip shop, musgroves, ae may plumbers, the blue shop, bates wine shop, blaskeys,lakins, greenthorpes garage/petrol station, cravens, mosleys electrical, the old army surplus shop at the bottom of handsworth hill, piggy lane allotments,the wreck off staniforth rd, cyrils cafe, all this happened in around 1975-1979 anyone remember

Is the 'Lib' referred to in the OP the same one that's now on Irvine St?

Don't know if you've been there recently, but the function room's now a filthy dump and the beer is absolutely disgusting. Staff look like bulldogs chewing wasps.

Only been there once mind, for a party, but I don't think I ever want to go there again.

Real shame if it was once a pleasent place to go with good memories.:(

my goodness how nobody remenbers these, ive posted these before without a single reply,club trips run by the horti,and libs, harold sandees a comitee man at the libs, johnny palmer,mick moran the sweet man that sold sweets in the doorway,at the libs, brian bates of the libs, lou the steward, market tom , he slept in the libs sometimes,

the old concert room where gordon burns and george burns worked the concert box, ernest pickering with the pigeons, ( he was on the telly) outside it had a heater on irving street, a louvred system that blew warm air out.

ernest morley and the darnall medical parade, brenda,

the flower show at the horti, reg cruise who was the steward, (i went to school with pamela)

the shops, allens cycles, hindles newsagents, seargents sandwich shop, yeomans, lomases chip shop, musgroves, ae may plumbers, the blue shop, bates wine shop, blaskeys,lakins, greenthorpes garage/petrol station, cravens, mosleys electrical, the old army surplus shop at the bottom of handsworth hill, piggy lane allotments,the wreck off staniforth rd, cyrils cafe, all this happened in around 1975-1979 anyone remember

You forget Gregsons Shoe Shop, Davy United, Bentall the Dentist the tackle shop at the side of Hindles Newsagents, the Jet Station on Staniforth Road and many more the names I cant remember.

I was born at 33 York Road in 51 which has long gone.

John (butcher) Bentall the Darnall dentist.The There were always rumours flying round that people had died while he was working on them.

He was always great with me though

The small petrol station at the bottom of Handswoth Hill, at the side of Bentalls and the gas lamp nearby that was supposed to be powered from the gas given off by the darkie that flowed underneath.

Archived