Dove & Rainbow -Whats your views

never been in, although i do like my rock music so may have to pay a visit soon, is it any different or better to places such as the nelson rock bar? or say casbah?

I like to use the term 'different'.....we are different to the Nelson in some respects, but we both offer DJ events, real ale, pool table, rock jukebox (at least I think Nelson still has one upstairs) smoking areas, et al, and both have sets of well established regulars, plus a lot of people who flit between the 2 at the weekend. I think we both do live music from time to time, although we are re-introducing regular band nights quite soon, and we have pinball, but the Nelson has darts and we do not at the present.

The Casbah is more a late bar, although I would not call it specifically a rock bar in the strict sense, as it can be quite indie orientated too. Has DJ based events, live music, table football.......not been for a while though..

Now this WILL be interesting!!!! Unfortunately, the majority of my regular customers are not members of this forum (I think only 2 are in fact) so it will probably be very one sided.....

Which 2 are you thinking? I can think of 6 off the top of my head.

I am usually to be found in the Dove at some point on a Sat evening find it a friendly enough place.

As other posters have said it can be chilly at times and hard to find a seat but neither would put me off going.

As I havn't been in since the pool table is back I am finding it hard to think where there is enough room for it to be honest.

I am usually to be found in the Dove at some point on a Sat evening find it a friendly enough place.

As other posters have said it can be chilly at times and hard to find a seat but neither would put me off going.

As I havn't been in since the pool table is back I am finding it hard to think where there is enough room for it to be honest.

Its on the stage area at the minute - this has been extended a little to accomodate it.

Its on the stage area at the minute - this has been extended a little to accomodate it.

Yeah it fits very well and can roll into the corner when we have bands on. Its also a 7ft table too I think not the usual 6ft pub one. There will also be some fixed seating going into the corner under the window at the side of the stage soon, adding more seating to what was previously dead space behind the speakers, which have now been sunk into the stage.

Its a pub that seems to cater for a certain type of customer,has some character about it unlike the so called trendy pubs that are all the same.

We like to think it has a certain charm of its own, and certainly some characters do drink in here! Our regulars, such as the Punks for example (are any of them on the forum?) are the nicest set of people I have met, somewhat unusual many of them, but good people. Add to that our other regulars, from all sorts of walks of life, and its a real haven in this part of town.

I was saying on another thread, think if was the Hen and Chicks one, that the Dove is one of very few pubs which have survived in this part of town.

So many have been lost around here, some of which may not be mourned..ie The Cannon, and the Market Tavern.. but also in recent years lost places like the Stone House, the Marples, Under the Boardwalk, The Mulberry tavern, the DnR/Circle bar, The Three Cranes (but think this is back open) et al.......the old established pub 'circuit' in this part of town vanished years ago, so it tends to be niche market pubs that have survived, like us.

VIVA LA DOVE

Archived