The Pools at Crosspool

PopT

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of a picture of the pool which was situated at the end of Cardoness Drive alongside the end of the cottages known as Henry Place?

The pool was drained in the late 1930's when they built houses and the new road Cardoness Drive.

The area known as Henry Place has had several previous names High Cross, High Green and Henry Place.

Any information about The Croft or the Cottages also would be appreciated.

PopT

I know the one that used to be at the end of Selborne Road was the result of removing clay to be used for making bricks and I have seen a picture of that one

I believe there were about 4 pools altogether which is not surprising knowing how many springs that are in the area.

PopT

That particular spot looks pretty high up to have much of a pool, what would feed it, water from further up Sandygate Rd. would fall away either towards nethergreen or coldwell lane .

I suppose if its a clay pit it would just catch rainwater over a period, without draining.

Was there anything on the Hallam football pitch, or was that in place before the whole area was developed for housing.

Springs often seem to defy the laws of physics and sprung up in the unlikeliest of high places.

I can assure you Tooeg that the whole area is fed with springs

Some people would be surprised to learn that surface water often runs under their floors at times.

I have seen this with my own eyes, they say water will find a way out running on the clay layers until it finds a weak spot in the earth.

The pool at the end of Cardoness Drive use to overflow and fill another pool near the end of Dransfield Road.

This pool originally went right up to the gable end of the cottages and that is why the gable has been built not in line with the road.

The field that was once at the rear of the Henry Place cottages was always waterlogged .

Even today, water collects on the patios and at the bottom of the gardens on the low side of Cardoness Drive.

Some years ago I did see a couple of pictures of this pool but they have gone.

I would love to see them again as well as pictures of the other pools.

There must be someone out there with some knowledge of them if not pictures.

PopT

Archived