Alternative Gym

Do you ever feel that when you go to the gym you would rather be putting all this exercise and hard work into something more useful?

I cycled past a woman struggling up a hill with her shopping today, and have just been thinking about an idea since then.

What if we organised an 'alternative gym', where those of us who are interested got together say once a week and exercised, like a gym workout, but also for the benefit of someone or some organisation that would appreciate our work.

I was thinking perhaps offering our services to carry shopping home from local supermarkets (which would be similar to doing a Farmer's walk - a core strengthening exercise)

Or ringing round local voluntary organisations and charities and seeing what we could offer them. We could then chose an activity to do each week

For those who wanted to lose weight we could find more cardio-vascular type projects - walking/running etc and for those who want to build muscles up perhaps things like heavier lifting/helping people move furniture etc. For instance, I helped to clear the gardens at Walkley Community Centre earlier in the year - and definitely felt as if I had been at the gym.

I'm not saying it would replace the gym, but it would certainly help people keep fit, as well as doing some good in Sheffield. We could have the philosophy to only work for people who respected what we were doing (and didn't try to profit from us) or who genuinely needed the help.

Any thoughts? Too far-fetched/do-goody? Good idea? Nobody would be interested? etc.

Thanks.

You think carrying bags and pushing a pram is the same as going to a gym? lmao. Do it out of the goodness of your heart, yeah! but don't think it's the same as getting a good workout in.

Archived