Memories Of Walkley

• 3 weeks later...

USUK;7315540]Whereabouts was #282 ? Was it close to the Terminus ?

Sorry for being so late with my reply ! Yes it was near the tram terminus at the back of the Lollypop Shop ! Our cellar grate was underneath the shop window !

In the same yard there was a family called GOODISON and another called BLANCHARD !

• 1 month later...

Hi there, can anyone give me any information on the Walklands at Grammar street. Not sure what year this will have been but they lived there for a number of years and believe there would have been around 5 children. Linda, Betty, Kenny, June and Maureen

Hi there, can anyone give me any information on the Walklands at Grammar street. Not sure what year this will have been but they lived there for a number of years and believe there would have been around 5 children. Linda, Betty, Kenny, June and Maureen

Yes. They actually lived on Hattersley St, next door to the shop. They were there at least from 1952 until demolition in 1970/2. They also had a brother, Johnny. I heard that some or all of them went to live in Boston but this would have been many years ago, perhaps before 1985. Mr Walkland had a job driving the horse and cart for Collins, frequently seen parked outside the White Horse pub! Nice people though, all of them.

Edited by carosio

Thank you so much for providing this information. Do you know the names of Mr and Mrs Walkland and what they were like?

Maureen and Kenny continue to live in Sheffield. Johnny, Betty, June and Linda did move to Boston however have all passed away leaving Linda the only one living there now. Maureen is my grandma and just really wanted to know more about her past and what it was like there. Thank you so much

My great Grandma was Mary Ambler who lived at Crooks and her daughter Ellen Ambler (my grandma) lived at 135 Walkley Street - where my mother was born. I remember Eric ambler - one of a number of Great Uncle's I had. I spent many happy hours at Walkley and Rivelin. My grandmother lived opposite the cooperative shop.
I lived on Hoole street I went to Burgoyne Road School I knew a Terry Ambler who lived on Duncombe Sreet his dad or brother was called Eric,I believe his dad had a butchers near to their home.

Thank you so much for providing this information. Do you know the names of Mr and Mrs Walkland and what they were like?

Maureen and Kenny continue to live in Sheffield. Johnny, Betty, June and Linda did move to Boston however have all passed away leaving Linda the only one living there now. Maureen is my grandma and just really wanted to know more about her past and what it was like there. Thank you so much

I was in the same class as June at Walkley school, she was quite small and went by the nickname of Fanny.I think here worst moment at school was when we were in Mrs Hightons class (the welsh dragon). One day Mrs Highton got tired of june talking and so called her to the front. She bent her over her knees and then made one of the boys in the class come out and spank junes backside. Can you imagine the uproar today. I beleive the Mrs hghton left a couple of years later due to ill health.

• 2 months later...
USUK;7315540]Whereabouts was #282 ? Was it close to the Terminus ?

Sorry for being so late with my reply ! Yes it was near the tram terminus at the back of the Lollypop Shop ! Our cellar grate was underneath the shop window !

In the same yard there was a family called GOODISON and another called BLANCHARD !

Used to play in that yard with a kid around my age, cant remember his name but he shot me in the knee with his air pistol once