Memories Of Walkley

On 22/08/2013 at 23:48, bacutts said:

lived in channing st, top end near burnaby street went to walkley county school

left 1965

My great grandmother lived at 4/2 Channing Street until her death in 1963. Her name was Lily Ellis. 

• 2 weeks later...

My family have lived at 45 Freedom Road for many years. I moved up at the ripe old age of 6 months in 1950. When my parents had both died, I and my sister rented out the house for a while. I later returned to the house after developing the rear.

There was a grocers/beer off called Taylor's further down on the left. Further down there at the corner was a greengrocers called Chapman's. The lady wore a beret and I think her husband was a bus inspector. I think Austin's moved in afterward and then Walker's.

Opposite the greengrocer's was a sweet shop run by Mrs Lewis. This was taken over by the Ashmore's (Pat ran a hairdresser's there). Pat's husband I think was called John and wore overalls, they had a son called Robert who was lots younger than us.

My friend Stephen Elson and his older sister Linda used to live at number 1 in the same block. Next door to him on the corner with Walkley Road was Dorit's, the beer-off which was called the Royal Oak where there was a small very crowded snug. Needham's took over the business and their Daughter Jean used to go to my school (Marlcliffe and Chances)

Going up the Road were the Woodcock's, Burgess's,  Burgin's (property repairer) Crookes (daughters Marjory, Susan and son Roger),  Davenports (daughter Jean), Hargreaves (daughter Valerie), , Harrap's (Katherine and Jean, son John),  Richard's (son Philip), Peel's (caretakers at the church), Grayson's, Womersley's (son Peter), Mrs Watson. Bryan Thompson (a keen motorcyclist) and his wife, Mrs Settle, George and Joan Torres (niece Sheila), Marples (us), Miss Haslam and Mrs Beaumont (two sisters), Brookfield's, Vanniches, (son Nick), Wadsleys (nephew John), Unwin's (daughter Janet) Sykes's (Rita and Wendy and Moira roundabout my age lived at three houses). Across the road was Nanny Hargreaves, Cave's (daughters Sandra and Pamela, Reeds (son Brian). Frogatts (son Peter), Elliotts (son Brian), Dawson (son Terry and daughter Linda), Tye's ( son Michael and he had a sister) (Mrs Gough) , Coopers (son Stephen my first friend),  Bletchers (son Raymond)  Chambers (daughter Susan), Sanderson's (daughter Janet who became a teacher   Mrs Thornton at Westward school), Crookes (son John).

There must be more.

I worked in the  voluntary Walkley Action Group which stood up to the Council in their plans to pull down the whole area. Dad was Secretary for our Road. 

Edited by stevenm
Corrections

• 2 months later...
I lived on Bates St, then Burgoyne Rd (I think) and eventually down by the famous roundabout. I also remember the Walkley library as a 'destination' and a place to chat. The Bolehills were great as was Rivelin Valley.

Does anybody remember the Robinson family of Bates St. Dad was a copper and also the Scout Leader for a long time. Brian Robinson was in my class. The family sort of adopted me which I really liked.  I would like to thank them.

John Owens

I also remember Dr. Bryson. He would make house calls and stand with his backside to the fire.

On 22/05/2009 at 21:07, Pete R said:

I was born in walkley on Camm St, I lived in Hoole St and Burgoyne Rd, great place, lots of good memories.

I remember the picture house on South Rd & the 'sasparilla' shop near Lentons fruit & veg, sauls grocers and the pikelet shop to name a few.

Walkley palladium wet there a few times.

On 16/03/2018 at 21:46, bacutts said:

I remember Dr Bryson he looked like Gilbert Harding that used to be on television in 1950s

Went to the doctors there on Greenhow Street. There was also Dr Ridgewick and another that when our went in to see him he was also reading and picking out his horses. That was the day before you had appointments and you us to hire how long you had to wait and who was next.

• nikki-red changed the title to Memories Of Walkley
  • 4 weeks later...

My mom was born in 1947, and lived near the corner or Grammar Street and Creswick Street. She lived in row houses on the same side of the street as the White Horse Pub, on Grammar, next to a "pub-farm-field".  She told me there were occasionally solitary goats and sometimes pigs in that field.  Across the street, toward the gas works was the Victoria Inn. I'm interested in gathering as much as I can about this part of Walkley. I want to get a sense for what it was like in the 1950 and early 60s

I'm totally unfamiliar with the area, Mom moved to Canada in the mid 60s, but I can collect some links to archive photos of her neighbourhood that I've found in a quick search online. As far as I have learned the farm field would have been on the right-hand side of #3. If anyone can help me fill in any gaps, know of any stories, knows of other archives, or has photos of that field behind the White Horse Pub, I'd appreciate it.

1. Grammar Street, Walkley, looking towards No. 19, White Horse Pub
  2. Grammar Street at junction with Creswick Street, 1969-1972, No 19, White Horse Pub, No 22, Victoria Inn
  3. White Horse, No 19, Grammar Street at junction of Creswick Street
  4. Joseph Taylor, Grocer, Nos 87 and 89, Creswick Street, Walkley (corner of Grammar Street)
  5. 1951 Ordinance Survey Map of the area  /  Close up

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, LovePotion said:

When did the public toilets underneath the library close?

Who cares? when you can come on here to take the P.

Keep safe, happy collation of disused public toilets. 

Perhaps you could write a book on the subject.

Must be a strange conundrum finding a cottage is closed, when all you wanted to do in the first place was come out :huh:.