Why do we always queue here in Britain?

Why? What benefit does this serve?

To be pleasant?

I know I'd be annoyed if someone went in front of me, and I always hold back myself if I'm not first.

I'm glad Brits are like this. We don't want to adopt the rest of the world's matter of impatience. We can have the worst day possible, but we can still be silently courteous to strangers. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with not cutting lines in places such as the supermarket, buying tickets for trains. But for something like getting on a subway or train I just don't see the point. If there's enough seats why the hell does it matter who gets on first? It's not like there's reserved seats.

I'm sure my mindset comes from going on Subways in New York City. Lines waiting for a subway there would just never happen!

I guess for things like waiting for a bus they are suggesting we should just stand in a group and get on it whatever order.

i know it sounds strange but thats what happens here in oz .useually the older people shove their way to the front when the bus comes.nobody complains

If tuts were bullets, we'd have died in a hail of lead.

That has to be a classic quote of the future!

One of my abiding memories as a kid is my Dad's futile efforts to start a single queuing system in our local post-office. He never did manage it!

I am interested in what has been said about it staring after the war when everyuone was on rations. Wasnt it like that in England before then?

Just asking as I am curious.

And if so why dont the Germans queue then?

• 4 weeks later...

I had the day from hell yesterday

I went to 3 seperate banks and in total queued for 1 and a half hours.

I then went to Tesco in Upperthorpe and queued there.

A simple task or moving some money from one bank account to another was made so difficult.

1. I go to Broomhill. There is at that time 1 member of staff serving and around 10 people in front of me.Another member of staff flits in and out.I am told that to move money from another account they can do an immediate transfer(same day).I am asked if I want a review on my account but I decline as usual.

2. I rush in to town, pay for car parking and go to the other bank.I stand in a very long queue and wait for 20 minutes before getting to the cashier.

She then tells me that Sheffield have decided they wont do the same day thing.

3. I then go the next bank in High Street and guess what, a huge queue beckons me.A man comes up to me and asks if I have a cheque but as I dont then I have to stand in the very long queue.

Whilst I am waiting, it gives me time to think.If the taxpayer owns 60% of the banks in some cases, why do we have no say in how long we have to wait to get to our money.

In this bank there were 3 or 4 staff ,but there were probably 15/6 people in the queue.

After having to pay for 2 hours parking in John Lewis, just to transfer some money I wonder what the country is coming to. Maybe there is something to be said for online banking!

• 10 months later...

Well. Nearly a year has gone by since I posted on this thread and having spent an hour in town in just 2 places, Nat West Bank and Somerfield, the whole of that time I was in a queue.So, not a lot changes then..:huh:

At one point, whilst I was queing in the bank, although there were plenty of staff working there was just 2 people working as cashiers,and one who was on the travel bit and one on the reception bit and there was at least 30 people in the queue.

Is it just that they know that we simply have to use a bank and, as they are all the same, they know that moving an account to get better service is not an option so they continue to offer such a poor and shoddy service to the people who are keeping them afloat?

Not only do people queue a lot in the UK, but they always join the back of the longest queue. Trying to direct people along to shorter queues is a bugger as everyone seems to worry that if they move from the back of the queue of 20 to the shorter queue of 5 they will either miss out on something, of be assaulted by those that chose to stay in the longer queue.

Personally I think it is less about being polite, and more about wanting something to moan about. For example...

"I've been in this queue for 10 minutes..."

Well, if you were in the other queue you would have been served in 4 minutes!

"That's beside the point, this queue is slow!"

It is your choice to stand in the longer queue.

It doesn't help that there is some kind of time-space anomoly that occures around queues that means that although in the real world you have only been there 7 minutes, the temporal effect has you beleiving you have been there at least 3 times as long, leading to situations like...

"I've waited 25 minutes in this queue! This is ridiculous!"

Really? Terribly sorry. We did only unlock the doors fifteen minutes ago!

Alton towers is to blame! People always join the longest queue everywhere as they now associate it with the best ride at the end :)

Got to love a good moan about a LOOOOOOOONG queue.

Best laugh of the day so far :):hihi:

Archived