New cars, no spare tyre?!

My next door neighbour got a new car the other day and found it didn`t have a spare wheel. It turns out that it`s the done thing these days. You get an airasol can of glue and a 12 volt pump. What happens if your tyre shreads? My guess is you`re up **** creek without a paddle

Edited by Draggletail
Masked swearing

When I bought my car it came with run flat tyres. I took the option of paying to have a compact spare installed, which is a small wheel with a collapsed tyre and a pump.

This proved to be money well spent when I hit a rock in the road and broke a wheel rim.

Green Flag sent a chap to change my wheel, which is just as well because the bolts on the alloy wheels were different from those needed to fit the spare.

Not only that the space where the compact wheel came from was totally useless for storing the punctured wheel, and Green Flag took it back to town for me.

I think it is nothing short of a scandal that cars are supplied with inadequate provision to repair a puncture. I will certainly take it into account when I buy another new car.

Edited by lizmachin

Most new cars also come with a year's free breakdown cover.
Nowt like being able to pull over, jack up, change wheel and chuck punctured one in boot before driving off again 10 minutes later though, when the alternative is "We will be with you as soon as we can sir."

True, but do many people still do this?

I did. Only a few moths ago too. Driving a friends car along the Parkway, and the near-side rear disintegrated.

Good job he'd got a spare (he's not with any recovery company - AA/RAC/GF et al).

True, but do many people still do this? I see the AA and RAC changing loads of tyres these days.

So have I, but my (and I should imagine loads of others) personal preference would be to get it sorted and on with my journey asap as opposed to waiting for an eternity for someone to come and do what I could have done ages ago myself.

This is taking into account those who can't do it themselves for unavoidable reasons such as siezed wheel studs, physical weakness, wearing bridal gowns etc obviously

i had a breakdown on the m18 at 10.30pm 3 months ago... i was absolutely stuck, family on board, belting down with rain, miles from any turn off..

so i had heard that you can call the AA, join over the phone and they come and rescue you..

after all the questions they came up with a figure of £189.00 :gag: to join and be rescued there and then, i tried to put up a fught saying that iw as sure membership was around £40 to £60 but there was no budging them.. i felt as though they were expoliting my situation with kids and being stranded etc..

so reluctantly i joined and got the family home safe but when the policy runs out after a year i will be moving to RAC

i felt as though they were expoliting my situation with kids and being stranded etc..

Yet you didn't think that, maybe, you were attempting to exploit them by trying to join up at the last minute, on a Motorway for a few quid?