The Bank Holiday is just not cricket!

'In 1871, the first legislation relating to bank holidays was passed when Sir John Lubbock introduced the Bank Holidays Act 1871 which specified the days in the table set out below. Sir John was an enthusiastic supporter of cricket and was firmly of the belief that bank employees should have the opportunity to participate in and attend matches when they were scheduled. Included in the dates of bank holidays are therefore dates when cricket games were traditionally played between the villages in the region where Sir John was raised. The English people were so thankful that they called the first Bank Holidays 'St. Lubbock's Days' for awhile.' (Wikipedia)

So you know what to do with the Bank Holiday......cricket on the village green chaps........I am polishing my finest willow right now....

Its what British Bank Holidays were designed for! Forget baking in traffic jams in Skegness.....:hihi:

Absolutely agree :)

We passed the Hallamshire Cricket Ground today and saw there was a match going on. Need to find out the dates of matches and cost etc. Always promised myself a day of cricket on a summers day <sigh>

Close your eyes – picture the scene

The pub, the church, the village green,

Flannelled figures round the wicket,

This is England, this is cricket.

Even non – cricketers confess

Its quintessential Englishness.

It is, for those in any doubt,

What two world wars were all about;

Peace on earth and God in Heaven-

Tea time, 156 for 7

Archived