Sheffield 1974 Angel Street

The top of Angel Street is called Market Place. Schofields, ABC cinema, Crystal Room, Amusement Arcade, Leyland Paints, Kitchen Centre, was the run of shops. The statue was on the old Horne's shop.

The time I am on about is before those places were built.

those buildings referred to were built late fifties/ early sixties, so they would definitely have been there some years by 1974..

Atkinsons was an independent family -owned store, which has always been on The Moor, and was never part of Cockaynes. Cockaynes became Schofield's...

Quite right - Atkinson's have always been on The Moor. The 1925 directory also shows them on Prince Street and Eldon Street but the main store was at 76 to 90 The Moor. Later the store was evidently reduced in size, and by 1973 were at 78-82 The Moor, where they remain. The store must have remained in the family's hands until about the 1970s; John Atkinson himself used to do their TV adverts.

The 1973 directory (compiled in 1972) shows Cockaynes still under this name, and so the takeover by Schofields would have been between 1972 and 1974. Elmambo (post #17) got the sequence of shops on the west side of Angel Street dead right - here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/AngelStreet1973.jpg

Glad to see the memory still works, although I did miss the Halifax.

Well into the late fifties, the Atkinsons store on the Moor, was a bomb crater with a row of single story display windows fronting the road - not sure if Robert Bros., was not the same ! What I can't remember is where (or if) they traded from until the new store was built.

It's just that the phrase Atkinson in Schofield's ring a very faint bell.

I seem to recall being taken to Schofield's in the early 1970s to 'ride' to Santa's Grotto on one of the upper levels. I'd guess this was circa 1974/5 although there would probably have been another 'ride' over the road in the Co-op.

Schofield's was a decent shop in its day, quite classy. Practically all my visits there seemed to be with my mother which would make sense age-wise! We had Schofield's, Rackham's (always smelled strongly of perfume), Cole Brothers, Debenham's, Atkinson's, C & A and so on.

Decent shops in a decent shopping environment. Beats the rubbish we have today...,

Does any one remember the name of the electronics shop in that area? I think at first it was near where suggs shop was, then it moved under the road, opposite the toilets near Hornes mens wear, during the hole in road period, the shop sold radios, cassettes, light bulbs etc, I remember buying a cheap pair of hedphones from there, but I can't recall the name!

Regards to all.:)