Railway line at Parkwood Springs

HI ALL,

anyone know if the line which I think runs from that old dis used station at the wicker in town out to parkwood springs then over the five arches on herries road and finally out through wharncliffe and deepcar, is used or not ?

if it is used do you know how often and by what type of rolling stock ?

personally I would presume it would be only freight trains if any at all.

is there anyone that used to work on british rail that might know anything about the line.

ime interested in doing some photography on and around that line and for obvious reasons would like to know if it is still used or not.

thanks, RM

One freight train a day uses this line, and travels very slowly on it from the ones I can see from my window. God knows what type it is though. Passenger services ceased on the line when the Penistone to Barnsley line opened and trains were diverted via Chapeltown from the early 80's.

The line serves the corus works at stocksbridge and the usual time is as stated above during the night however there was a class 37 route learning loco up there in day light last wednesday. There was a diesel charter up there recently sadly a steam charter due for that line didnt get up there due to a spad (signal passed at danger) in the lincolnshire area

You do know that most of the line is fenced off, proper metal seven foot high with pointy tops fencing?. There are gaps where the local yoof have been busy, possibly near the ski slope and the five arches bridge.

The line itself is fairly dull, the occasional burnt out car pushed over the cliff near the Shirecliffe allotments, graffiti and some curious shrubbery. But the interesting stuff is alongside. Did you know about the cemetery next to the bridge? (Wardsend Cemetery) on the right as you go up the road, behind the scrap dealers. The former sidings off Corporation Street, near Pitsmoor, now all that complicated dual carriageway. Or the Parkwood Springs estate, that got demolished because the council needed somewhere to put the cities rubbish. The only entrance to the estate was the one under the bridge that now leads to the Ski Slope. You can still see some of the roads. The estate appeared in the film Slade In Flame.

There was also an engine shed and sidings by Neepsend gasworks, opposite the gasometer, and you can still see a huge brick erection with a light industrial estate on top of it which may of been a goods yard for the railways. There were also passenger stations at Neepsend and Wadsley Bridge

And not forgetting that the line was an express-way to Manchester and Liverpool (compared to scenic route we use now).

I've always been convinced that the Great Central Railway/Sheffield Corporation Railway has been another of Sheffield's missed opportunities. Had this line been kept open it would of made a substantial contribution to the cities status and economy.

K.

HI ALL,

anyone know if the line which I think runs from that old dis used station at the wicker in town out to parkwood springs then over the five arches on herries road and finally out through wharncliffe and deepcar, is used or not ?

if it is used do you know how often and by what type of rolling stock ?

personally I would presume it would be only freight trains if any at all.

is there anyone that used to work on british rail that might know anything about the line.

ime interested in doing some photography on and around that line and for obvious reasons would like to know if it is still used or not.

thanks, RM

Pictures of the old Woodhead Line ( Sheffield Victoria - Manchester Picc )

can be found on this site under "The Route Today"

http://www.thewoodheadsite.org.uk