The new Islam megathread part 3

This had nothing to do with Christianity; oil maybe, Christianity no!

Whether it did or not is irrelevant. Tab1 is attempting to take the argument down a completely different road with this strawman, don't let him.

Crayfish's assertion was that If the majority of adherents [of a religion] hold a certain viewpoint, it is fair to say that this is the representative viewpoint of the religion."

You have yet to take issue with this statement. So far your defence seems to be 'Look Christians are bad too!'. Pathetic.

Do you ever argue against what's been said or is that beyond you? Do you have an 'at least 3 or 4 strawmen a day' policy?

Here's what Crayfish said again: "Religion is the collection of beliefs held by its followers. If the majority of adherents hold a certain viewpoint, it is fair to say that this is the representative viewpoint of the religion."

Care to respond to the words on the screen this time as opposed to the ones in your head?

I think you’ll find that the post you quoted is a response to this assertion. I asked if Christianity can be blamed for attacks on Iraq?
If that is true then by the same rule of thumb, yes I agree Muslims can be blamed but if Christianity can’t be blamed then neither can Islam.
Not one without the other, it just wouldn't be fair would it?:suspect:

You do seem to have an unhealthy fascination with strawmen Jimmy;)

This had nothing to do with Christianity; oil maybe, Christianity no!

And of course any Iraqi fighting to defend his country is doing it because of Islam and not because they are being invaded. Any Palestinian fighting for his homeland, is doing it because of Islam and not because a whole people were kicked out of their own country. Any Muslim doing anything wrong anywhere in any country, is because it's Islam that is telling him to do it and nothing whatsoever to do with politics of the world.

Open your eyes to the reality of life, and demonising a religion and by misrepresenting reality, the problem isn't going to be solved. The solution will be found by working together to eliminate injustice that breed resentment and hate in the world around us.

You have yet to take issue with this statement. So far your defence seems to be 'Look Christians are bad too!'. Pathetic.

Sometimes it is good to look at life from a different perspective Jimmy. Far from a strawman as you like to call it, it is helpful realise we are doing the very things that we criticise others for.

Oh I'm sure you can Grahame, but obviously you choose not to. I wonder why? Could be something to do with not wishing to support anything Islamic?

Please don't push me tab. I have Mohammed's life story on my hard drive.

And you're even worse with the strawmanning, far less subtle! the sentence 'Jesus Christ forbid murder' does not magically make the many millions of Christian murderers cease to exist. You fool.

If you don't follow the teaching of Muhammed you are not a Muslim. If you don't follow the teaching of Christ you are not a Christian.

How hard is that?

And of course any Iraqi fighting to defend his country is doing it because of Islam and not because they are being invaded. Any Palestinian fighting for his homeland, is doing it because of Islam and not because a whole people were kicked out of their own country. Any Muslim doing anything wrong anywhere in any country, is because it's Islam that is telling him to do it and nothing whatsoever to do with politics of the world.

Open your eyes to the reality of life, and demonising a religion and by misrepresenting reality, the problem isn't going to be solved. The solution will be found by working together to eliminate injustice that breed resentment and hate in the world around us.

Without Islam, very few people would be more than superficially concerned about perceived injustices in countries thousands of miles away to which they bear no personal connection.

Therefore, Muslims conducting or supporting violent attacks in the West are doing so expressly because of Islam.

No, your post is neither a fair nor remotely logical continuation of my point. It reads as a hysterical and ill informed anti-Western rant. Which is somewhat worrying, when it comes from a Western citizen. I don't believe that faith played a major role in the invasion of Iraq.

It is a long standing religious practice to murder innocent people because they hold a different faith. However, this has been more prevalent in Islam than any other religion in recent years. Unlike Islam, I strongly doubt that any significant number of Christians support religious terrorism.

I am informed so please inform me :lol: Bush actually used the term crusade and the largely Christian armies attacked a majority Muslim nation under a false pretext, why can’t you say it was a Christian invasion of a Muslim country? The Muslim people defending against an unjustified invasion are called terrorists and their religion blamed for Muslims fighting their attackers.

You seem quite happy to label others but want distinctions when it comes to yourself. I have never come across any religious practice that confirms this

It is a long standing religious practice to murder innocent people because they hold a different faith
Islam does not advocate this and your opinion that it does is the worrying factor. Have you any evidence of this?

Anywhere in the world you can ask a person of any religion and they would agree that it is right to defending themselves or their loved ones, and Islam is no different to that. Are you suggesting that people exist in the world who would not defend themselves or their loved ones if attacked? And are you seriously saying that Muslims would attack non-Muslims for not being Muslim?

Without Islam, very few people would be more than superficially concerned about perceived injustices in countries thousands of miles away to which they bear no personal connection.

Therefore, Muslims conducting or supporting violent attacks in the West are doing so expressly because of Islam.

No sir, without the injustices supported by our country and the Americans against the Muslims thousands of miles away, there wouldn't be any problems.

Most of the arguments concerning Islam seem to be around the word...moderate.

What is moderate?,,I think the only reason we dont see the side of Islam that occurs in the East is because of one simple reason...As yet they havent got full control of our laws...give em time,the apologists will grant them free rein eventually.

Archived