Stocksbridge Development-Retail not Regeneration

Took a while, but they've announced a flagship Aldi will replace the originally planned Tesco in Fox Valley.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/largest-aldi-supermarket-in-the-region-to-open-in-sheffield-1-7346038

Wonder if we'll also get a home bargains and Iceland like they have on Penistone Road?

Little bit disappointed...I'll still have to buy overpriced tea bags from the Co-op or stop off at Morrisons! Not found any I like in Lidl or Aldi! :roll:

Took a while, but they've announced a flagship Aldi will replace the originally planned Tesco in Fox Valley.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/largest-aldi-supermarket-in-the-region-to-open-in-sheffield-1-7346038

Wonder if we'll also get a home bargains and Iceland like they have on Penistone Road?

Little bit disappointed...I'll still have to buy overpriced tea bags from the Co-op or stop off at Morrisons! Not found any I like in Lidl or Aldi! :roll:

It's just a shame the Sainsburys at Wadsley was built, that would have been ideal at Fox Valley, where it is, it gets no custom.

I'm hoping we maybe get a Wilkinsons, or similar type hardware shop.

It's just a shame the Sainsburys at Wadsley was built, that would have been ideal at Fox Valley, where it is, it gets no custom.

I'm hoping we maybe get a Wilkinsons, or similar type hardware shop.

I said the same thing...shame they can't just re-locate the whole Sainsbury's building!

I just really hope we aren't left with a handful of budget stores and a greggs.

From the bumpf online it looks to be a substantial development, quite a few units to fill there so they must be trying to find something to put in them.

Maybe they could bulldoze the centre of Stocksbridge and move all the shops across, that main shopping area is proper minging!!

From the bumpf online it looks to be a substantial development, quite a few units to fill there so they must be trying to find something to put in them.

Maybe they could bulldoze the centre of Stocksbridge and move all the shops across, that main shopping area is proper minging!!

The new development will kill the existing shops in my opinion. Half of them on the main road has been empty for ages as it is. A friend enquired about one of the empty units on the main road and the rent was almost £9k per year , thats before business rates. Absolutely crazy , its no wonder so many units are empty up there.

oh dear, hopefully it's torn down sooner rather than later, would be a decent location to slap some flats or something in??

Maybe just a little park - but that'd probably require the council to buy the building and redevelop the area, can't see that happening.

oh dear, hopefully it's torn down sooner rather than later, would be a decent location to slap some flats or something in??

Maybe just a little park - but that'd probably require the council to buy the building and redevelop the area, can't see that happening.

I agree, id pull down that entire row of buildings and sell off for residential . I just cannot see how Stocksbridge can support the existing shops and the new shiny development . There simply inst the footfall locally. The new development will attract people travelling there by car as the parking in the centre of Stocksbridge at the existing shops is a joke.

I know the chemist`s and opticians have already signed up to relocate to the new development. There are going to be a lot of empty retail units in the town centre once Fox Valley opens next spring.

I agree, id pull down that entire row of buildings and sell off for residential . I just cannot see how Stocksbridge can support the existing shops and the new shiny development . There simply inst the footfall locally. The new development will attract people travelling there by car as the parking in the centre of Stocksbridge at the existing shops is a joke.

I know the chemist`s and opticians have already signed up to relocate to the new development. There are going to be a lot of empty retail units in the town centre once Fox Valley opens next spring.

Even the GP's surgery is moving down there so that will be another empty building...maybe they'll just bulldoze that to increase the size of the car park round the back?

Although...I live within walking distance of Bengal Spice so that can stay :D