Stocksbridge Development-Retail not Regeneration

I think the place looks absolutely fantastic but with the shops that are open at the minute, it's pretty rubbish. They'd have been better off waiting a few months till Next & Sandersons were ready to open.

Had a look at the menus for the 2 restaurants and I don't think they're too badly priced. They're not cheap but they're not obscene either. £6-£7 for a beer is ridiculous of course but it's only the same at Pizza Express.

The Silver Fox is closed.

No it isn't, been re-opened a couple of months now. Had quite a nice refurb.

I think the place looks absolutely fantastic but with the shops that are open at the minute, it's pretty rubbish. They'd have been better off waiting a few months till Next & Sandersons were ready to open.

Had a look at the menus for the 2 restaurants and I don't think they're too badly priced. They're not cheap but they're not obscene either. £6-£7 for a beer is ridiculous of course but it's only the same at Pizza Express.

No it isn't, been re-opened a couple of months now. Had quite a nice refurb.

You can refurb the pub, but sadly you are still stuck with the same punters .

Stocksbridge is a good 25-30 minutes outside of the city centre, so it's hardly compatible with Manchester or Leeds is it??

In fact I'm sure you could get into Leeds just as quick as you could Sheffield from Stocksbridge it's that far away from the city.

I'd like to see you get to Leeds in under 30 minutes from Stocksbridge. Stocksbridge is about 8 miles from Sheffield city centre and 25 miles from Leeds city centre.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 08:39 ----------

As long as they aint flicking fag ash in your grub whats the problem ?

Not everyone's a scrubber.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 08:40 ----------

You can refurb the pub, but sadly you are still stuck with the same punters .

Oh the irony.

Well I've visited the new development a few times now and think it's really nicely done, looking forward to the rest of the shops opening.

Haven't had chance to try either restaurant yet though.

Now all we need is the passenger railway with a park and ride at the new development :D

Now all we need is the passenger railway with a park and ride at the new development :D

Tram/train type effort has been discussed before, convert the existing train line.

It might be more of a possibility if the TATA steel works closes??

Wouldnt be cheap . The line is only a single track

I think the proposal that's being campaigned for is to have a half hourly shuttle service back and forth along a single line.

Still not cheap of course but with an associated P+R facility at the new development it'd bring big benefits to people in the area (not just Stocksbridge/Deepcar itself but the surrounding areas too), and help to reduce traffic into the city.

Maybe one day it'll happen, maybe not, would be great through.

Wouldnt be cheap . The line is only a single track

Laying track never is, but for the most part it wouldn't be too much hassle to add in an extra track.

(This is in comparison to laying fresh track in may other areas of the city)

The only obstacle would be the connection to Middlewood Road, which would in effect force the council to sort out the traffic issues at that end of town.

You could run a service with one or two vehicles, using the stretches of single track and maybe a couple of passing loops. This could terminate on the existing line near Victoria. However, it would be difficult to justify electrification or fancy platforms. Would still cost in the millions.