Stocksbridge Development-Retail not Regeneration

Greybeard, youve obviously not seen the development plans theres more than just a supermarket mate.

Yes a supermarket is just one retail premises amongst the many others.

Its a massive shopping centre that will give choice to the residents of Stocksbridge.

I have seen the plans and if you remove the short term jobs involved in building the place, then 150 equivilant full time jobs created would be on the optimistic side, there would also be a simmilar amount of job loses both locally and further afield.

Thats a very debatable issue, however people need jobs.

You've just made a vary significant point indeed scargill, half a million pounds coming into Stockbridge every week, how fantastic money coming into Stocksbridge and not going out for a change. This also must be good for the buisiness community to.

At the moment there's probably not fifty thousand pounds a week coming into the area,

businesses will hopefully also sponsor local events and groups, this has to be of benefit to the community.

On the Carbon issue, I don't believe carbon issues can be used to object against planning issues as yet.

But fair point scargill.

Thats a very debatable issue, however people need jobs.

You've just made a vary significant point indeed scargill, half a million pounds coming into Stockbridge every week, how fantastic money coming into Stocksbridge and not going out for a change. This also must be good for the buisiness community to.

At the moment there's probably not fifty thousand pounds a week coming into the area,

businesses will hopefully also sponsor local events and groups, this has to be of benefit to the community.

On the Carbon issue, I don't believe carbon issues can be used to object against planning issues as yet.

But fair point scargill.

Joe

I am not against the development, what I do want is full and clear disclosure of all facts including an impact plan on what will happen to the sourounding area both from a commercial and environmental point of view, rather than a knee jerk reaction to Stocksbridges problems.

Once passed there will be no going back.

excellent comments scargill this is what is needed. Hope you have put this same request into the planning department's online application. Its about time people started to think about things and not just plough ahead and do it just for a quick buck. As to the developers supporting things where is their sponsorship of local groups and projects now why wait..till the development is completed? this shows real support of the town if they cant do it in advance. People in Stockbridge will still go out of the valley to shop even if and when this development is built.

So in your opinion the power the stores use and the deliveries to the stores are all carbon free then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 hours a day opening and £500,000 worth of stock moved in and out per week will increase your carbon footprints not reduce it.

One lorry 24 tonnes of stock, 480 cars 50 Kgs of shopping each, no contest

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Stocksbridge and enjoy the 'local' shops that we have. The quality is great and the staff have knowledge of their wares. I'd be sorry if the opportunity to enhance the existing facilities were lost in favour of a development built on a flood plane with rents too high for the existing businesses to move into.

I have long been of the view that turning our local communities into carbon copies of one another is a bad idea.

I have been looking at the New Economics Forum website and I thought this was relevant to the debate.

'In 2002, nef launched the groundbreaking report, Ghost Town Britain, which struck a chord with people across Britain with its picture of a nation rapidly losing the local shops and services that have been the economic backbone, and an essential part of the social "glue", of local rural and urban communities across Britain.

In place of real local shops has come a package of "identikit" chain stores replicating on the nation's high streets. The individual character of many towns is evaporating. Retail spaces once filled with independent butchers, newsagents, tobacconists, pubs, book shops, greengrocers and family owned general stores are filled with supermarket stores, fast food chains and global fashion outlets.

Many town centres that have been "regenerated" have even lost their traditional facades as local building materials are replaced by identical branded glass, steel and concrete storefronts.

The appearance of Clone Town Britain has been aided by planning and regeneration decisions that have created a retail infrastructure hostile to small, independent businesses. The homogenisation of high streets is also not a benign or inevitable product of ‘progress’:

#

Loss of diversity ultimately leads to a loss of true choice for consumers as well as a loss of local character

#

Replacement of locally owned outlets by retail multiples can damage the local economy as profits drain out of the area to remote corporate headquarters and local employment is destroyed

#

The many people who now wish to return to local, high street shopping may find that their distinctive local shops have been replaced by “micro-format” supermarket or chain branches

Source - neweconomics.org/gen/clonetown.aspx'

I hope the decision makers are motivated by what's in the best interests of the whole community.

I live in Stocksbridge and enjoy the 'local' shops that we have. The quality is great and the staff have knowledge of their wares. I'd be sorry if the opportunity to enhance the existing facilities were lost in favour of a development built on a flood plane with rents too high for the existing businesses to move into.

I have long been of the view that turning our local communities into carbon copies of one another is a bad idea.

I have been looking at the New Economics Forum website and I thought this was relevant to the debate.

'In 2002, nef launched the groundbreaking report, Ghost Town Britain, which struck a chord with people across Britain with its picture of a nation rapidly losing the local shops and services that have been the economic backbone, and an essential part of the social "glue", of local rural and urban communities across Britain.

In place of real local shops has come a package of "identikit" chain stores replicating on the nation's high streets. The individual character of many towns is evaporating. Retail spaces once filled with independent butchers, newsagents, tobacconists, pubs, book shops, greengrocers and family owned general stores are filled with supermarket stores, fast food chains and global fashion outlets.

Many town centres that have been "regenerated" have even lost their traditional facades as local building materials are replaced by identical branded glass, steel and concrete storefronts.

The appearance of Clone Town Britain has been aided by planning and regeneration decisions that have created a retail infrastructure hostile to small, independent businesses. The homogenisation of high streets is also not a benign or inevitable product of ‘progress’:

#

Loss of diversity ultimately leads to a loss of true choice for consumers as well as a loss of local character

#

Replacement of locally owned outlets by retail multiples can damage the local economy as profits drain out of the area to remote corporate headquarters and local employment is destroyed

#

The many people who now wish to return to local, high street shopping may find that their distinctive local shops have been replaced by “micro-format” supermarket or chain branches

Source - neweconomics.org/gen/clonetown.aspx'

I hope the decision makers are motivated by what's in the best interests of the whole community.

WHAT A LOAD !

i assume you don't shop at the lidl co,op or jack fultons :rolleyes: