Sheffield cable TV pre 1980s

One of the technicians in the Media Studies suite at the old Shirecliffe College formerly worked on the Sheffield cable TV station. I remember him showing us some video footage he had salvaged. His name was Laurence Fowler and was a legendary olympic smoker. Maybe some of the footage exist in the city archives (along with some of my dodgy media studies work.)

Originally posted by gerryuk

Sheffield Cablevision started broadcasting on August 29th 1973 and died a death on January 2nd 1977. After it closed the old ITV company ATV in Birmingham began transmitting on that channel.

Sheffield Cablevision was run by a company called British Relay Network.

Me dad used to work for British Relay in the late 70's early 80's.

I'll get some info off him.

Originally posted by desy

THink that was also an organisation called BRW was a cable company and a box was under the television that you subscribed to by paying cash into the meter underneath. You received a booklet every 2 weeks stating the programmes on and how much it was to subscribe. All I can remember it was going in 1966ish.

Correction

The normal channel programmes were throgh the cable on a normal rental charge. athe booklet for the extra programs were for films, all in wrestling and other sports you had to pay through the meter underneath and that was emptied once a month

• 8 months later...

How strange to sit here in Portugal and see my name mentioned by Maniclee. I never realised I was an olympic smoker, but my better half says different!The Sheffield Cablevision experiment was run on a very small budget and under severe constraints from The Home Office in London about its output. I was probably as responsible as anyone else for messing up the news. We had no autocue and had to read off a script we recieved only a few seconds before the transmission.

On one memorable occasion I had to read the main story about a Polish baker who had committed suicide. As Polish names are very difficult to pronounce, the rule is pick a pronunciation and stick to it. I unfortunatly forgot mine and gave the poor chap six different names. The producer (in my earpiece) said, "sounds more like a bloody massacre than a suicide". Try keeping a straight face after hearing that during a serious story!

I will admit that someone stuck a sign on my office door at Shirecliffe which said "Fagash Lol". I often wondered who, so own up Maniclee, was it you?

BRW did well in Sheffield because reception was so poor and customers could be guaranteed good pictures and free radio programmes which was something the competitors couldn't offer. If he was a collector or an installer and he worked from Derbyshire Lane, then I would know him by sight but I didn't know all their names.

Hi "tsavo", I was one of the "volunteers" who helped out down there. It's my claim to fame that I was on the telly for....minutes. I once interviewed a girl who was trying to become a speedway rider. Don't think I helped her career much. But for me Cablevision was a stepping stone to ......complete oblivion.

Archived