Sheffield cable TV pre 1980s

That's right. BRW had permission to put the cable on council property, but just for a few months there was a change of council leadership and the Conservatives took over, the only thing I remember them doing was they painted the wheels on the busses blue instead of red. I wonder if anyone else remembers that.

The other thing the Conservatives did while they were in the majority in the council chamber was to revoke the permission BRW had for all those years and they had to cease providing the service. It meant the end of a company and the loss of many jobs, and yes you are right, everyone had to have an aerial set and they had to get an aerial.

Hi! Pitsmoor lad. Sorry I can't remember your piece to camera but you were attempting one of the most difficult jobs in TV. (yes I know it looks easy but we know different, eh?) Volunteers were the lifeblood of the station and without them would have never lasted as long as it did. We didn't always remember to say thank you, so just in case we didn't, THANKS MATE!

Laurence.

How strange to sit here in Portugal and see my name mentioned by Maniclee. I never realised I was an olympic smoker, but my better half says different!The Sheffield Cablevision experiment was run on a very small budget and under severe constraints from The Home Office in London about its output. I was probably as responsible as anyone else for messing up the news. We had no autocue and had to read off a script we recieved only a few seconds before the transmission.

On one memorable occasion I had to read the main story about a Polish baker who had committed suicide. As Polish names are very difficult to pronounce, the rule is pick a pronunciation and stick to it. I unfortunatly forgot mine and gave the poor chap six different names. The producer (in my earpiece) said, "sounds more like a bloody massacre than a suicide". Try keeping a straight face after hearing that during a serious story!

I will admit that someone stuck a sign on my office door at Shirecliffe which said "Fagash Lol". I often wondered who, so own up Maniclee, was it you?

The "Fagash Lol" sign is what I associated with you Laurence and I think one of the other students conducted an interview on the subject. This was almost 20 years ago and being a wide-eyed, naive 16 year old fresh from his o'levels at the time, I fell for the legend hook, line and sinker. I hope I did'nt cause you too great offence.

Not guilty guv! btw.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread seems long dead, but I thought I'd post anyway. My dad was John Brand the one time station manager of sheffield cable vision. Tsavo, I remember you when I was a VERY small girl! Good to see you here

best wishes

Gail

Tsavo if you want to contact me, google my name and go through my webby

Are you all saying there's NO cable left in the U,K by far in Ontario the bigest crooks still out of jail is a cable Co.and acting with the lighting speed of our Gov'they first allowed them to filch billions from our back pockets and are now THINKING of reining them in but just a little Grr I'm so mad I could spit

Are you all saying there's NO cable left in the U,K by far in Ontario the bigest crooks still out of jail is a cable Co.and acting with the lighting speed of our Gov'they first allowed them to filch billions from our back pockets and are now THINKING of reining them in but just a little Grr I'm so mad I could spit

The old system was four pairs of wire in a single cable but now there is a new cable company that uses fibre optics which has many advantages over the old system that had become obsolete and could only handle 4 TV channels and 4 radio programs. Also now it is all underground which is better.

A mr Nick Smart used to work for sheffield cablevision

He is still in Sheffield, but had a stroke a few years ago.

I remember Nick, he was a nice man, I think he worked with Doug Thompson and they were based at Derbyshire Lane, but I could be wrong.

Archived