Anybody remember Graham Shaw?

I remember he played for that other team, what's its name, Sheffield United, thats it. The last time I read anything about him, he was managing Skegness or Boston, but that was way back. Where did he go from there. I knew him when we were kids around Fowler St, little Hayward Rd etc; occasionaly he'd condescend to kick a ball around with the little Hayward Rd mob. He was always brilliant though, a very good boxer too. A lot of good footballers around there, Jack Linley, Tommy Gouldon, can't understand why they didn't make it professionly.

I remember Graham Shaw he played in the same team as me about 1966/67 lived up Foxhill I think. He played for Hillsbrough Park Rangers. Then there was the other one who played for another team in Sheffield strangley in the same position. He had a brother called Joe who was a towering centre half ( in his dreams).

Originally posted by desy

I remember Graham Shaw he played in the same team as me about 1966/67 lived up Foxhill I think. He played for Hillsbrough Park Rangers. Then there was the other one who played for another team in Sheffield strangley in the same position. He had a brother called Joe who was a towering centre half ( in his dreams).

i think his brother was called bernard:confused: he had a cafe in the castle market

Graham unfortunately died a few years ago. His brother is Bernard and both of them played for The Blades at left back. Both played for England. Graham made his debut against that other lot at Sheffield 6 on January 5th 1952 and of course The Blades won the game - 3.1. Not unusual against that opposition. Graham was 17 at the time.

Joe Shaw was NOT Graham's brother however they both featured in the very successful defence of the 1960s. Remember Alan Hodgkinson, Cec Coldwell, Graham Shaw, Brian "Rocko" Richardson, Joe Shaw and Gerry Summers.

Graham was a great guy.

Originally posted by Transportfan

Graham unfortunately died a few years ago. His brother is Bernard and both of them played for The Blades at left back. Both played for England. Graham made his debut against that other lot at Sheffield 6 on January 5th 1952 and of course The Blades won the game - 3.1. Not unusual against that opposition. Graham was 17 at the time.

Joe Shaw was NOT Graham's brother however they both featured in the very successful defence of the 1960s. Remember Alan Hodgkinson, Cec Coldwell, Graham Shaw, Brian "Rocko" Richardson, Joe Shaw and Gerry Summers.

Graham was a great guy.

What a great defence that was. I can't ever remember any of those guys having a bad game. Talk about consistency. Alan Hodginson "The cat of Bramall Lane" would have been almost first choice for England except for the fact that Ron Springett of Wednesday was so good. It was a travesty that Joe Shaw didn't get capped often for England too. Reason cited was that he was too small. Could do with a few small players like him today. As for Graham, what a sight that used to be when he burst upfield on the left side. Coldwell and Summers were steady players game after game and when Richardson tackled someone they knew that they had been tackled. Happy days

Thanks for all the feedback. Sad to hear that Graham has gone though, but then again, not forgotten. I do remember he had a brother, younger than him, a bit smaller and stockier, didn't have much to do with him though. Graham's father was really ambitious for him when we were kids, liked him to hang out with a better class of 'street' urchin, if you know what I mean. He didn't want him to kick a ball with any old riff-raff, it's obvious he knew his worth.

I was foolhardy enough to go in the ring with Graham, for a bit of a spar, up at the Pitsmoor Club. They had a boxing gym for a while many years ago. I should've known better. The Shaw family lived in Fowler St then, just up from a grocery store, I think it was called Blaydons, anybody old enough to remember that?

Graham and Bernard Shaw were brothers, Graham the older one and both played full back for United.

Joe Shaw, no relation, played round about the same time at centre half. Great defender but a bit on the short side or easy have been an England player.