Anybody remember Graham Shaw?

Graham was brought up in Southey Green, and not surprisingly, a Wednesdayite! He made his debut at Hillsborough at the age of 17 for United in a 'derby' match in 1952 when he stood in for Albert Cox at the 'eleventh' hour. Shaw conceded a penalty in this game but Burgin saved it and the Blades won 3-1. Dooley scored for Wednesday.

About 10 years ago when Graham had The Sportsman near the United ground, a gang of us used to call in late on a Friday afternoon for 2 or 3 hours and I always found him to be an absolutely top bloke. At that time, he was living in a council maisonette at the top of Gervase Road at Low Edges.

I was really sorry to learn of his death.

R.I.P. GRAHAM

Two nice guys. Hodgy is still Scotland's goalkeeping coach and has not changed at all. Ron, unfortunately, has not been too good in recent years with heart problems. I still regard his signing as being one of the best Wednesday has ever made. You'll probably know he lived in London even when he played at Hillsborough. When the Owls played in the Birmingham area I used to join him in the cafeteria bar on Snow Hill station and have a chat, likewise at Preston from a Burnley or Blackburn match. One of Ron's daughters works at QPR.

I'm so sorry to hear that Ron's not in the best of health. I have been busy writing a book on the Owls for the past three years and he receives a glowing testimony within it's pages.

I do hope top complete it before the Wednesday heros of the late 50s and early sixties begin to pass into legend as have many of their era.

I'm so sorry to hear that Ron's not in the best of health. I have been busy writing a book on the Owls for the past three years and he receives a glowing testimony within it's pages.

I do hope to complete it before the Wednesday heroes of the late 50s and early sixties begin to pass into legend as have many of their era.

I make no apologies for saying that I think Ron Springett at £9,000 has been one of the best ever buys Sheffield Wednesday have made in my lifetime. I have never understood why goalkeepers cost less than players in other positions because history has usually told that a good goalkeeper goes a long way to a successful team.

His signing was a long time ago but compared to £70000 splashed out on Ritchie and £100,000 spent on Tommy Craig plus (millions wasted on more contemporary signings) Ron's purchase was a snip, given his major contribution to both Wednesday and England.

I have heard that his illness is heart-related, not able to confirm but have reliable contacts and fond memories of him both as a player and person. When other London clubs travelled to play in Sheffield, Ron was quite welcome to travel south with them after the game, and did!

With your book in mind, I heard sometime ago that Albert Quixall isn't in the best of health in Manchester. I also know that both Joe Shaw (Utd) and Charlie Williams (Doncaster) - to be brief- are very ill.

With reference to Albert Quixall - does anyone know what has happened to him? I went to his house in Manchester a couple of years ago to interview him, but when I tried to make contact with him recently, my letter came back 'return to sender' and his phone number was no longer in use.

I found Albert and his wife to be very nice people and would be interested to hear what has happened to them.

I remember Graham Shaw he played in the same team as me about 1966/67 lived up Foxhill I think. He played for Hillsbrough Park Rangers. Then there was the other one who played for another team in Sheffield strangley in the same position. He had a brother called Joe who was a towering centre half ( in his dreams).

Joe was not related to Graham but Bernard was his younger brother, I played against Bernard a few times, and Uniteds other full back of the time, Len Badger.

We once played against a United youth team, way out of our class, and lost 21-0. Len scored 19 goals.

I make no apologies for saying that I think Ron Springett at £9,000 has been one of the best ever buys Sheffield Wednesday have made in my lifetime. I have never understood why goalkeepers cost less than players in other positions because history has usually told that a good goalkeeper goes a long way to a successful team.

His signing was a long time ago but compared to £70000 splashed out on Ritchie and £100,000 spent on Tommy Craig plus (millions wasted on more contemporary signings) Ron's purchase was a snip, given his major contribution to both Wednesday and England.

I have heard that his illness is heart-related, not able to confirm but have reliable contacts and fond memories of him both as a player and person. When other London clubs travelled to play in Sheffield, Ron was quite welcome to travel south with them after the game, and did!

With your book in mind, I heard sometime ago that Albert Quixall isn't in the best of health in Manchester. I also know that both Joe Shaw (Utd) and Charlie Williams (Doncaster) - to be brief- are very ill.

Is that the Charlie Williams who became a comedian?

Graham Shaw was an England International Left back and played for Sheffield United.

He was landlord of the Sportsman pub on Denby Street just off Bramall Lane.

He retired from there a few years ago and past away nearly 2 years ago.

A superb bloke and a pleasure to know him.

My sister married his son Richard.

RIP