Trying to find my uncle Michael

Hello

Am trying to find my uncle - Michael Alan Gower. I think he may have been adopted by Mrs Holmes in Sheffield.

His DOB is 25th Dec 1943.

His parents were Rose and Harry Gower and he was in Fulwood Cottage Homes, sheffield from 1945 til about 1949(i think). He had 7 siblings, Iris, Irene, Rita, Sandra, Gordon, Doreen and Valerie.

If anyone knows him could they please get in touch.

Regards

There are thread(s) knocking about dedicated to the Fulwood Cottage Homes. Perhaps if you posted on there some of the regular contributors may be able to help you. Many of the FCH kids attended Lydgate Lane Infant/Junior School but I don't recall a Michael Gower.

Hi,

I have found your uncles birth entry.

Michael Alan Gower, His birth was registered in the Jan/Feb/Mar quarter of 1944, this is because he was born in late December so it won't have been officially recorded before January. His mothers maiden name is quoted as Simpson.

I think I am right in saying that when an adoption takes place legally the original birth record usually shows the reference numbers "struck through" by hand with a further written reference so that the registration sytem can locate that person by their new name. This is not the case on your uncles birth record so I don't know if would have been legally adopted.

I may be wrong about this "striking through" but I have found this with all other histories that I have done/helped out on. Maybe someone on here knows more and can comment if I am right or not?

I have a copy of a birth registration certificate for someone who was officially adopted, it says in the right hand blank part of the certificate, "Adopted" followed by the name of the Sperintendent Registrar.

Presumably this is done so that a cross reference can be made with adopted details.

I think I am right in saying that when an adoption takes place legally the original birth record usually shows the reference numbers "struck through" by hand with a further written reference so that the registration sytem can locate that person by their new name. This is not the case on your uncles birth record so I don't know if would have been legally adopted.

I may be wrong about this "striking through" but I have found this with all other histories that I have done/helped out on. Maybe someone on here knows more and can comment if I am right or not?

Hi there

I don't think this is necessarily true.

My mother was also adopted and if you look at her entry, Irene Gower, January Q, 1939, Wortley, MMN Simpson, you will see there is no strike through but she was officially adopted.

Thanks xx

Archived