Tracing Family Trees

Hi!

Right.. I am wanting to trace a family tree for my mum. Thing is... we have pretty sparse details. I am on Ancestry.co.uk but so far have only found a couple of birth and death records.

All details are maternal (mums side)..

I have names of my grandma, her mum and dad who both died young. My grandma was raised by her paternal grandparents so I have their names but nothing beyond that. I have no details of her maternal grandparents or beyond.

I have names of my grandad (RIP), his 4 sisters, and his parents and an uncle on his dads side. But again I get stuck at his grandparents on both sides.

Would really love to trace it properly, but I thought in order to do this I would need to start at my grandparents and work back, and the trail would be easy to follow using birth, death and marriage certificates but we don't possess many ourselves and I can't seem to use Ancestry.co.uk to the info I am after. I would love to have proper info on them, not just the few bits of info from the records it does find.

Any other websites I could use? Any info? Or where could I get it done properly- how do they do it, what info can they access that I can't???

Thanks in advance.

You mean you want to see the full info what would normally be seen on a birth certificate or something? :huh: Ancestry have a good selection of BMD records however, they don't give that much information. They are only useful for locating the information needed to request a certificate.

Please get back and let me know what you are after. There are a few threads on here already regarding this and there are people on here with tonnes of knowledge about the subject.

You mean you want to see the full info what would normally be seen on a birth certificate or something? :huh: Ancestry have a good selection of BMD records however, they don't give that much information. They are only useful for locating the information needed to request a certificate.

Please get back and let me know what you are after. There are a few threads on here already regarding this and there are people on here with tonnes of knowledge about the subject.

Yeah that's right- I want to find out the info which would be on a birth certificate- you know like parents names, addresses, occupations etc... be really interested. Any ideas? I would love to find it all myself but if it requires someone to do it for me then so be it but I am not even having much louck with the basics on some people,especially those where I don't have birth years/death years and can't do as I thought I could and start from my grandparents and work back like that, I thought the info from my grandma and grandad would be linked to their parents which would be linked to their parents and so on/ so forth.. but no luck...

Thanks in advance x

Work with what you already know:

Your mother (presumably this is the side which you're trying to track).

If you know your mother's name including maiden name and her date of birth, that is where you start. Use Ancestry to look up your mother's birth entry, once you have that you will be able to order a copy of her birth certiifcate which will give you her mother's name plus her mother's maiden name, her father's name and occupation and the address where they lived when she was born.

With this information you then proceed to the next line i.e. your grandparents, always prove with certiifcates as you go along so that you don't trace the wrong line which can be expensive. Here are 2 sites which are very useful and there are lots of people who will be glad to help you without any charge.

http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk/

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

Good luck and, if you need any help then just pm.

Duffems

A couple of websites which could help you track down Birth, Marriage, Death certificates...

http://www.freebmd.org.uk If you find your grandma and granddad on here, you'll get a reference number, which you can use to order certificates from http://www.gro.gov.uk

The unfortunate bit is it costs £7 for a certificate, but it'll give you the information you need....

If you have any names from around 1911, you can look on the 1911 census to find out where your family were living at that time and get more info that way.

http://www.1911census.co.uk but beware..... It's addictive!!!!! :hihi::help:

Good Luck!!!! :) :)

A good place to go is Sheffield Archives but you need to join and know what you are looking for, I founds my grandparents wedding in the church records, however some things you have to book to see like certain books. A good site to look on and that is free is http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp the worlds biggest database I think run by the Mormon church.

Yeah that's right- I want to find out the info which would be on a birth certificate- you know like parents names, addresses, occupations etc... be really interested. Any ideas? I would love to find it all myself but if it requires someone to do it for me then so be it but I am not even having much louck with the basics on some people,especially those where I don't have birth years/death years and can't do as I thought I could and start from my grandparents and work back like that, I thought the info from my grandma and grandad would be linked to their parents which would be linked to their parents and so on/ so forth.. but no luck...

Thanks in advance x

I do this professionally for people, if you need any help then let me know.If you find a birth certificate with mother's maiden name on it then you can trace the marriage and the bride and groom's father from that so then you can keep proceeding backwards.

Thanks in advance x

The information is there within the BMD to obtain the certificate, but it will cost you to get the certificate. It will be worth it if that progresses your search.

Archived