Wardsend Cemetery

I'd never heard of Wards End house, what's it's history, I assume latterly owned by the brewery.

How old is Herries rd. how does it get it's name.

That should keep you busy for half an hour Hillsboro

If my memory is correct it was to the left of the Five Arches railway bridge, as you look from the Wednesday ground and was built over for the brewery distribution warehouse now on that site. An old water mill was also destroyed when they brewery distribution buildings were erected.

See http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=u05432

Blackbeard,

After doing some more checks 'My info was wrong'

so I have removed it,

sorry

m&p

How old is Herries rd. how does it get it's name.

That should keep you busy for half an hour Hillsboro

Herries Road was built in the 1920s, and named after the Herries family who owned some of the land nearby. Here are two photos: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s17146 http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s17179

There was a chapel in the cemetery,I remeber when I was a kid on the shirecliffe doing shortcuts down the zig-zag and at that time it was working about 1948-9 it was an annexe of St Phillips on Infirmary Rd.Wardsend was originally called Worldsend,I heard that durind the war,the son of the family who owned it would do a barrel roll as he flew over it.

bullerboy

I remember the blue light airplane that used to fly over Wardsend House and do flying stunts. I was told it was the son of the Oxspring family who did it ion his mother's birthday but I only heard that.

Happy Days!

did there used to be a chapel in the old wardsend cemetery and if so when was it closed /demolished ?.

I don't remember a chapel but I went to Wardsend cemetry often My nan was buried there I often wonder what happened to the headstones when the cemetry was demolished

I believe the church authorities are still responsible for Wardsend cemetery and they're having discussions (more likely an argument) with the council about who will pay for its protection/rescue.

How soon before it's a block of 'riverside apartments' ? :rolleyes:

I don't remember a chapel but I went to Wardsend cemetry often My nan was buried there I often wonder what happened to the headstones when the cemetry was demolished

Only the Chapel was demolished, the headstones should still be there

Thanks for info I think I may have to visit the cemetry and search for my nan's grave

Searching through family papers I have found certificate for opening our other family plot in St Philips Burial Ground. In 1929 it cost £ 3 to have the exclusive use of the family grave

In 1957 it cost £8 to open remove memorials and refix the grave my nan was laid next to her kin.

It's great to find old paperwork.

Many thanks Greybeard and Blackbeard.

Archived