Wardsend Cemetery

Smuffin, If this grave dates from 1929 it is likely to be in the 'new portion' above the railway. I have recently been photographing gravestones in that part (long way to go though).

Would you mind telling me the grave reference (from the documents) or the names of the people buried there. You can send me a private message if you prefer. Even if I don't have photo I can probably give you a good idea of where to look.

Hugh

Well I never knew that I lived in Lamb Road for 21years,Southey Cresent for 2 years and Godley Road Shiregreen for 2 years I've never heard it called that

I did know Lamb was a poet and thinking about it it makes sense.

I'm in there regular with my dogs, and played around that area throughout the 60s

the Chapel was the low side of the railway, near to the stone bridge, a stones throw from Coopers scrap yard, I can pin point where the Chapel once stood.It was very small

• 3 weeks later...

I have now visited Wardsend Cemetry and with the help of Hugh W have found my nan's grave. It took a bit of clearing but I now have photos of the grave.

I hope the council do take over the upkeep of this cemetry. It's heartbreaking to see some of the collapsed and broken headstones.

Thankfully the headstone was intact

It will not be my last visit.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

:DThere is a new website for Wardsend cemetery, just put friends of wardsend cemetery into your browser

The cemetery is now being looked after by the council's parks & cemeteries dept. The friends of wardsend cemetery are backing the council who plan to start work hopefully in November when the winter has battened down the undergrowth. The friends did what they could on a small budget but the council has much more resources than the friends who were the only people to bother about the cemetery, formed in 1994 and reformed in 2000, since the cemetery closed apart from a group who have done some clearing but have not contacted the friends or the council:confused:.

If anybody knows who they are I would be glad to hear from them to thank them and find out where they stand as regards the cemetery.

• 2 weeks later...

So pleased to find out that the council have plans underway.I'm hoping in the future to visit my nan's grave on a regular basis without having to fight ferns and blackberries to get to it.

If it's restored to it's former glory it will be great.

Work will start in November and a contract has been signed with a private company to treat and remove the Japanese knotweed, this should be the start of maintenance work with clearing being done twice a year.

we have discovered several very large anthills near the carpark site for Coopers. the paths will be one of the main priorities with work starting on paths and working inwards.

I'll update further progress as it happens.

Archived