Advice about a stairlift please

This is a very good option, however I have known many issues with this in the past. The reason being you cannot gaurentee as to the quality, reliability and overall safety of the unit.

I recently had a customer that had done this and was having problems with the unit, when I checked it over 10 of the 12 rollers were shot, the safety gear had been removed (this is THE most important safety device on the entire lift, in the event of a gear box failure it stops the lift plummeting down the stairs) and the track wasn't correctly aligned or secured.

Yes that's why I said get someone reliable to collect and fit. The cost of them new means that some people simply cannot afford them brand new (and the maintenance rackets). Recycling needs to be get more organised for this sort of equipment.

There doesn't seem to be any system for recycling of stairlifts - how can that be allowed these days? Often they have not been in use that long and are almost-new. When they are no longer needed they are in the way for months, then may end up rusting on someone's back yard. The manufacturers are much like the motor trade a few years ago I guess, pumping them out of the factories with little thought about reduce/reuse/recycle.

Yes that's why I said get someone reliable to collect and fit. The cost of them new means that some people simply cannot afford them brand new (and the maintenance rackets). Recycling needs to be get more organised for this sort of equipment.

There doesn't seem to be any system for recycling of stairlifts - how can that be allowed these days? Often they have not been in use that long and are almost-new. When they are no longer needed they are in the way for months, then may end up rusting on someone's back yard. The manufacturers are much like the motor trade a few years ago I guess, pumping them out of the factories with little thought about reduce/reuse/recycle.

the problem is finding someone reliable, mainstream companies such as Clarks, Park and Eden mobility aren't interested in fitting second hand units or indeed purchasing them back as they don't want the potential head aches or the outlay should one be less than perfect, coupled with the man hours to strip them down, renew parts required, rebuild, clean down etc etc

It's cheaper for the supplier and the manufacturer to simply fit new.

I have the Acorn stair lift, it is made in England. The seat rotates to make it easy to alight when it reaches the top of the stairs. I love it.

Cynthia. Canada.

Acorn Seconded, but whatever you do, don't pay for their Service Plan. We had one installed about 6 years ago, by now we would have paid in the region of £2000 (The original cost of the Stairlift) for the Service Plan. The only thing that has failed has been the batteries, that was after 5 years, they're only supposed to last about 3. Acorn would have charged us around £90 for replacement batteries and £140 for coming out to replace them as we didn't have a Service Plan with them. I ended up getting a pair from "South Yorkshire Battery Services" on Shoreham Street for £42 and fitted them myself (not a major job).

Hope this helps.

I have a secondhand Stannah which I've had now for 9 years and had no problem. I got it from a reliable company who deal in new and secondhand. I agree you have to be careful and deal with a company that has been established a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions but particularly to you and Shazzamattazza who suggested Stayput.It looks like she can get one through there but if I need any help in the future with it I will contact you and will pass on your details if I hear that anyone else needs any help in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Twoflags, this is mainly directed to you however if anyone else can advise then I'd be grateful.

I may have a situation soon where my mothers Stannah stairlift will no longer be required. Is there a market for one that is no more than 5 years old and if so, how much would the length of its run up the stairs limit the amount of potential new owners? Also, can any profit be made from having it removed and selling it on (not taking any account of original purchase price)?