Identifying carpentry/joinery equipment

JenC

Thanks for posting this, I also think its a bottle washer, probably for the brewing trade in Sheffield. Wood was a common material in pre plastic days. Just think back to Dolly Posher's, Washboards, even buckets and of course water wheels. Cedar is used today for silkscreen frames due to it's longevity when immersed in water as was Elm & Beech.

It's not a million miles from this modern bottle washer http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50329929/XP_24_Bottle_Washer.jpg

Very interesting

I think bottle filling, to wash you need to invert the bottle so wash water runs out.

Its an early bit of mechanisation, I man loads the bottles, the next fills with a pipe, the next puts the top on, the last one unloads.

If it was any more mechanised than that, i.e. auto fill, the rows of holes would have to be radial, imagine a clock with 30 fingers, each being a row of holes.

As it turned there would always be a row of holes in line. Does that make sence?

Its obviously in a yard with an old stone wall behind that has topping stones on, Probably the old black Slag ones you see round sheffield.

Thanks so much for the replies - my mind is finally at rest! :) I had it in my head that it was a piece of equipment to help make something, rather than something he'd actually made. The replies have been very helpful, thanks again.

George E Waddington was at 42 Rock St in 1901,Burngreave bank in 1881 a joiner i guess you know this.

Yes I know this, I've been looking into my family tree for a few years and luckily my gran's very sentimental, so I've been spoilt by the amount of birth/marriage/death certificates and old photographs we've got. George and his wife Elizabeth also had the house next door to 42 Rock Street, at the same time (his stamp is in the back of an old book we've got, and it says the address). Thank you for looking it up though. :)

tghere seems to be straw on the right of the wheel, could it have just been unpacked and the workers were taking a minute and contemplating how to build a jig to fix the wheel shaped object into,maybe it was an automated bottle filler or sterilizer

Archived