Victorian doctors

Hey,

i believe around 1880's onwards.

i have have just recieved through the post, from a Sheffield relative, info on a :BENJAMINE C GOWING

CENSUS 1891, WIERFIELD, HUDDERSFIELD RD, THURLSTONE.

BENJAMINE C GOWING, 49, HEAD, M, GP, ALDEBY NORFOLK

ELIZABETH, 49, WIFE,AUSTRAILIA

MAGGIE,13 ,D, SCHOLAR, SAILSBURY, WILT

HODGSON CHARLES, 33, S, COACHMAN

The name 'BANK HOUSE, HUNSHELF RD' came up as a poss location from family history.

THe reason i'm searching for him, is two relatives worked for him. 1st Frances Butler Gabbitass, she was a local girl and worked as his cook. 2nd Ernest Harry Smith, Oundel, Northants. he came and took up post as coachman. they married in 1894.

The dates with the above census and marriage info are very tight.

it is believed Ernest worked with him untill he retired. that is also how they made SMITH EMBROCATION OILS. We also know tha Earl Wharnclifft used it on his horses. (did Ernest work for him too??????)

i know by 1911 he was in the steel trade, and lived next door to Sam Fox.

Here is a scan from the 1901 census return. The address is Hunshelf Road, Stocksbridge. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Gowing.jpg

Frances Butler Gabbitass is shown in the 1891 census as aged 20 and living with her parents at Bolsterstone, just up the hill from Stocksbridge. Presumably she worked for Dr Gowing after then, and before getting married. By 1901 the Smiths had four children and were living at "No 28 foremen's hut" in the "corporation hut compound" at Sheffield Road, Langsett - http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Smith.jpg The description of the enumeration district mentions "..workmen's houses or huts in this district erected for the men employed upon the Sheffield Corporation Water Works". Langsett Reservoir was then under construction. Here's a view of one of the huts: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s11806

Here's her birth if you haven't already got this information:

Births Dec 1870

Gabbitass Frances Butler Wortley 9c 232

The marriage:

Marriages Mar 1894

GABBITAS Frances Wortley 9c 382a

Smith Ernest Harry Wortley 9c 382a

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, I HAVE ALL THE CENSUS'S, AND ALSO HEAD STONE, AND FUNERAL INFO. THEY WHERE MY GREAT GRANNIES PARENTS. I ALSO HAVE OLD 'HARD CARD' PHOTOS OF THEM. SHE WAS A BIG WOMAN (SO WAS MY GRANNY!!).

THE fORMANS HUTS ARE INTRESTING, FOR IT TOOK A WHILE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT WAS ALL FOR. LOOKING AT THE PIC IS FACINATING. I ALSO WAS SENT (FROM FAMILY MEMBER, ANOTHER PIC OF THE HUTS, FROM A DIFF VIEW (CAN SUPPLY COPY).

ITS THE DR GOWING LINK THAT HAS MY HEAD SCRATCHING. PINPOINTING THE DATE IS VERY HARD.

I ONLY WISH I COULD GO BACK IN TIME AND ASK MY GREAT GRANNY PAULINA HINCHLIFFE NEE SMITH, 1886, ALL THINGS THAT WOULD HELP. SHE SADLEY PASSED AT THE AGE OF 99!! ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO.

THANKS AGAIN

If he was still a coachman why were they in a reservoir workers hut

A good question, but the reservoir was apparently under construction between 1889 and 1905. Maybe by early 1901 the bulk of the work had been done and the huts were rented out to assist with a local housing shortage as industry developed etc. According to picturesheffield.com the workmen on the reservoir were mostly Irish, but having looked at about 50 census entries I only noticed three single men born in Ireland, in one of the "boarders' huts". There was a "doctor's hut", a "missioners hut" and even a "canteen hut - public house" and many of the huts had families with small children living in them. This is reminiscent of Birchinlee (alias "Tin Town), the hut community that sprang up when the Derwent Valley reservoirs were being built.

I just looked at freebmd - Benjamin C. Gowing died in April-June 1904. It seems that Bank House remained a doctor’s surgery, as the 1925 directory shows "Dr Arthur Evelyn Goldie, physician and surgeon" living there. Elizabeth Gowing died in London in 1917.

Archived