sam fox-stay bright steel/umbrellas

It's amazing really when you find it all started with making umbrellas, how did they make that transition into a large manufacturer of stainless steel employing thousands of workers? People might be interested to know, they also made the Rear Leaf Springs for Rolls Royce cars in the 50's and 60's. The springs were assembled and lubricated with grease and (get this) encased in a stitched leather sheathing, I assume so that the owners would never get their hands dirty and also I suppose it kept the springs noiseless. Is there anything left of the company Samuel Fox's these days? It seemed to me that the factory was built into the very core of Stocksbridge.

I remember they also had a department where razor blades were manufactured. During one period I got a job rough painting the steelwork and trusses in the roof of this department. There we were, two of us flighting 'Youngermans' scaffolding about two thousand miles above all these razor blades, no safety harnesses in those days. I think I've said before, If you fell, a free shave.

Fox's is still there in Hunshelf Bottom, Stocksbridge - well that was the old address it's Hunshelf Road now and belongs to Corus. I believe the lady who owns the Lunchbox down there is turning it into a heritage cafe based on the steel valley they are working on it at the moment. I know they are also concerned about the impact a planned new retail development on the outo kumpu site opposit will have on the area. They are trying to protect Ford Lane an old PROW which they want to keep as part of the planned Steel Valley Way which will link the whole valley through to the TPT at Wortley and also the upperdon trail and on into sheffield, Kellham island tying into the industrial heritage and then onto the five wiers walk and beyond..they need support i believe. Now this would be a good thing to have some heritage trail to Sam Fox in the valley - without him Stocksbridge wouldnt be what it is today. Its amazing what he actually did for us all.

Archived