Teenager diagnosed with depression , has been self harming

Also, some anti depressants are known to make things worse in teenagers. I too was given anti depressant recently that made me feel worse but the second batch I was given are a godsend.

I think if you pm people who have had this problem, it will help. I think you need to be a sufferer to know how dreadful depression can be. Even though it's a very personal experience we all have something in common. xxx

pdrnsf I suggest that you obtain a copy of Sheffield Smooth Guide. You can do so by contacting Sheffield Mind on 258 4489 or e-mail info@smoothguidesheffield.info. The price is the cost of the postage.

Its a softback publication for mental health users, carers and professionals. It is approx 100 pages thick and within those pages is information on self help groups for both your brother and those close to him.

I am sure that there would be a peer group that matches him for you all to attend and understand the problem.

I wish you the best of luck

I offer patient counselling as part of my treatments which is IIHHT (International Institute of Health & Holistic Therapists), certificate of counselling by a therapist. It comes as part of all treatments.

I am also doing a Diploma in Psychotherapy & Counselling with the School of Natural Health Sciences. This is nearly finished. I will let you know when.

Please note that I advertise Psychotherapy & Counselling now to gage interest and demand.

Have you thought about alternative therapies? We don't say stop the medication. Aromatherapy treats the mind, body and spirit. I have treated someone who self harms sometimes just the physical contact of massage with oils is enough to help. It can be just a hand and arm massage. It is important to find a therapist who is not going to be shocked at scars. The person sometimes lets it all out to someone who is impartial, which can help on the way to recovery.

Hope all goes well for your brother.

• 1 month later...

Depression and self harming are weird things. And self harming is always a constant reminder and a fear of how people will react when they see your scars. Obviously you don't care or think about that when you do it, well I didn't at the time. Now I hardly wear short sleves and regret doing it.

Heres a poem I wrote ages ago about it all.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8200218/

Archived