Anyone want to learn to fly a Microlight?

I've been learning to fly microlights for a few months now and have fallen in love with it. It's the closest you will ever get to flying like a bird and it's definitely the most exhilarating form of powered flight. The flying school is located near Ilkeston (near Derby) as it's the closest school that has an instructor that I really trust and admire.

The problem I now have is that I broke my leg in a rock climbing accident 3 weeks ago and I've got a frame on which prevents me from driving (but not flying!).

I'm looking for someone who's willing to give it a go and (ahem) give me a lift down at the same time. To sweeten the deal I'd be willing to pay all of the fuel costs there and back (about £9) and also put £10 towards your first 4 hours, so that would mean you could learn to fly for £64 per hour....definitely the cheapest way to learn powered flight!

I mainly want to do it on weekends and evenings as the summer nights are getting longer. We'd have to wait for each other to complete our flights, but this time could be used to learn the theory side and chat with some of the other pilots.

Who knows, if we both get our pilots licences we could co-own our own microlight and hangar it at an airfield somewhere near sheffield (I think I'm getting ahead of myself!)

Surely this will appeal to someone!

Tom

Update:

I can now drive (yes, with the doctors permission) so no longer need a lift, but I would still like it if anyone from sheffield want's to come along to share the driving. Although, I am withdrawing the offer of £10 towards your lessons!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Flyers:):):):)

Just signed up to SF today.

This is my first post!!!! what look to find fello fliers!!!

I'm P1 (pilot) PPL (M) microlight flying an Air Creation flexwing from a nice little air strip "with an instructor"

It's 3 miles east of Retford Gamston in a village called Headon (40 mins from Woodhouse) and it's our anual fly in this weekend !!

Why don't you make the drive up on Sat? the weather looks to be not bad so there should a few coming in.

There is a booze up on the Sat night with a band and steak super for (£10) for charity THE British Legion.

I feel that our airfield must be closer than Derby.

Paul

Info

07929 119058:thumbsup:

Hello Flyers:):):):)

Just signed up to SF today.

This is my first post!!!! what look to find fello fliers!!!

I'm P1 (pilot) PPL (M) microlight flying an Air Creation flexwing from a nice little air strip "with an instructor"

It's 3 miles east of Retford Gamston in a village called Headon (40 mins from Woodhouse) and it's our anual fly in this weekend !!

Why don't you make the drive up on Sat? the weather looks to be not bad so there should a few coming in.

There is a booze up on the Sat night with a band and steak super for (£10) for charity THE British Legion.

I feel that our airfield must be closer than Derby.

Paul

Info

07929 119058:thumbsup:

Love the sound of this one, good booze up AND microlights to play with, all I need is a portion of 'me mushrooms' and WOW!!!!!!.......

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

This Sat fly in:confused:

How to get there...............

Go to Clumber past Worksop on the ring road, hit the A1 and go South to the next round about, the one with that funny roof (little chef) on your left, take the Skeggy road off here A57 up that steep hill with the crawler lane, over the top go about a mile and take your 1st left signed the Upton and next village is Headon where the fly in is.....

If you come you can camp over (free) there are BBQ things during Sat and something cooked up on Sunday morning:gag:.

We are quite an active friendly bunch of flyers with around 10 flexy's and 7 fixed wing hangered there and 2 other airfield nearby with a few micro's.

We did Isle of Arran 4 weeks ago!!!!:o!!!!:thumbsup:!!:hihi:!!!

A few good sites if you dint know..........

afors.com

bmaa.org

metcheck.com

xcweather.co.uk

metoffice

Paul

It's good to see some other flyers on here! Bigbroadcast I'd love to come over to Headon once I've got my wings, but I'll continue to learn with Ian at Ramair as I'm now loyal to him! Do you know of any micro airfields nearer to sheff? I think it's about time there was one dont you? The airfield I fly from is just outside west Hallam which is about 50 mins from sheff.

Matnedgus, in answer to your questions, the website is: http://www.ramairmicrolights.co.uk/ and the Instructor is called Ian Barlow 07974466923

I trust Ian for a few reasons:

- He's very experienced in flying microlights and hangliders (20ish years experience in microlights i think)

- He has an air of calmness about him (even when your coming in for a windy landing) just like an airline pilot.

- Talking to the other students some of whom have defected from other flying schools have only good things to say about him.

- My own rate of learning

Let me know if you want any more info.

Tom

:)To all

Don't feel that you would be press ganged into taking up lessons with my old instructor. Just come up and av a laugh & a joke. The more the merrier.

Or ask if anyone from your airfield fancies coming up and get a back seat.

If you come up ask for me....tall Paul from Sheffield

The only airfield I know of nearer to Sheff is Netherthorpe who I don't think like micros and its too expensive,,,,or there is a strip near Coal Aston (with cows on it)

Paul

Archived