Who is more powerful: The Queen or the Prime Minister?

Who holds the most power in Great Britain?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who holds the most power in Great Britain?

• The Prime Minister
    • The Queen of Great Britain

What is going to be really interesting is if we find out that someone has taken action on his wishes and carried out some change purely on his request.

He is perfectly entitled to write to anyone expressing his views, but not to expect that anything will be done about it.

If an elected official has carried out the instructions of an unelected person for no other reason than a perceived entitlement then they need to be dealt with severely.

And I agree with you, it's the Bankers, CEO's of Major Corporations and the Rothschilds who wield the power, and have for centuries.

How well connected the royal family is would be down to how much influence they can apply to government policy when in the company of that lot.

Ah yes the Rothschilds. They also financed Napoleon Bonaparte's military campaigns. True power indeed.

Source for that? It seems ... fanciful.
various outlets, try the newstatesman. Jus go on the net and ask' how much of the worlds land surface is own by the british monarchy and you find reputable sites all with pretty much the same info, i obviously found much of it hard to believe but as you read on you will find out where their real power lies, i have to admit i am astonished at what i found. I suggest u dont take my word for it and do your own research.

there is no question civilian rule batters the monarchial bid for power into submission.

Parliament's Oliver Cromwell after a lengthy series of battles, cut King Charles I's head off and which decided things for the future for a very very long, if not totally indeterminate, length of time. After that, even with the re-establishment of the monarchy in its emasculated state not much more than a decade later, the Crown has largely behaved itself and not been too much of a nuisance.

Edited by blake

I always thought that the government had the power and that the Queen had to do what government told her to do. I think her speeches are wrote by the government. I am sure the Monarchy lost absolute power when Charles the First was executed.

However I still think she has more power than people think. I bet if she does not agree with something the Government is doing she had only got to say, I am not amused, and I thing the PM will do his best to help her if possible.

She is respected all over the world. If the people had to choose between the Queen or Government I feel they would choose the Queen. So I think she has more power than the PM. Prime Ministers come and go and look at all the experience she has gained. I think she is a canny lass and knows how to handle her prime ministers.

Edited by hauxwell

I always thought that the government had the power and that the Queen had to do what government told her to do. I think her speeches are wrote by the government. I am sure the Monarchy lost absolute power when Charles the First was executed.

However I still think she has more power than people think. I bet if she does not agree with something the Government is doing she had only got to say, I am not amused, and I thing the PM will do his best to help her if possible.

She is respected all over the world. If the people had to choose between the Queen or Government I feel they would choose the Queen. So I think she has more power than the PM. Prime Ministers come and go and look at all the experience she has gained. I think she is a canny lass and knows how to handle her prime ministers.

It's also wonderful for people who make up the establishment because it performs the functions that they hold to be central to the maintainence of power and influence.

It's also wonderful for people who make up the establishment because it performs the functions that they hold to be central to the maintainence of power and influence.

Agreed, and that is one of the reasons why it was brought back after being abolished by Cromwell.

You can hide a lot of skullduggery under the cloak of privilege and tradition.

Source for that? It seems ... fanciful.

I don't have the figures to hand, but I've also read something similar. I think the poster is taking into account the lands of the British Empire or something.

One thing's for sure, the Queen is up there as one of the richest people on the planet.

I also believe she's been a benign and diligent head of state, and believes the oaths she took at her Coronation. She genuinely thinks she has a devine right / duty to reign over us.

Make of that what you will.

you can walk between Oxford and Cambridge universities on St Johns college land, but that doesn't mean you own it if you get on the wrong side of the Prime Minister and civilian government. The church who are also big landowners have the same problem.

The crown is the ultimate owner of all the land in this country.

You may own your house outright with the deeds in a bank deposit box, the land may be freehold but ultimately the crown still has ultimate ownership.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newstatesman.com%2Flife-and-society%2F2011%2F03%2Fmillion-acres-land-ownership&ei=qskZVfiSNuS07gaJiYH4CQ&usg=AFQjCNERYyh2lkcjeOpxA8cgNOT2i2SAOw&bvm=bv.89381419,d.ZGU&cad=rja

This nonsense has gone on since 1066 and the British public are that servile that they neither know nor care.

the crown is only a device civilian government uses it is difficult to see how they (civilian government) are not in control. Civilian government can have the mornarchy any time it wants. Vice-Versa, not so easy.