Lawyers are not all bad

They don't rip the claimant off, dumbass (unless you've not "shopped around" properly). Perhaps you should learn how most legal fees are acquired.
Not the way to make online friends ...especially when starting a thread for some sympathy :hihi:

There's also a lot of pro-bono work that people don't hear about.
True, but pro bono means just that: non-chargeable. So, not to be factored into an argument defending professional fees, I think ;)

As with every profession, lawyers aren't all bad, some do give the profession a bad name (which more people hear about), most provide competent services in a professional manner (which less people hear about). Same goes for engineers, plumbers, mechanics, doctors, etc.

I'm not sure what the parallel with MPs has to do with it at all. As best I know, MPs are not practicing lawyers, so they're more "ex-lawyers", but I'm open to correction. If anything, it vindicates my point above about "some giving the profession a bad name which more people hear about".

I work for a pretty large law firm and I have to say that, yes, although there are cringeworthy instances of "ambulance chasing" and a perpetuation of the "compensation culture" in certain aspects of personal injury, here's some of the important work I see lawyers do that may one day benefit you or a family member:

- Asbestos disease compensation and lobbying parliament for changes to the law regarding access to treatments patients are currently, wrongfully denied.

- Support, compensation and rehabilitation for Armed Forces personnel who have been shafted by the government following their service as a thankless pawn in our irresponsible foreign policy. Lobbying parliament for better treatment of our soldiers.

- Compensation for people who have suffered negligent medical care/diagnosis. There are some horrible cases of people being left with brain injury because of careless, avoidable errors. These people should be compensated to ensure they can afford rehab, modifications to their homes and care (often 24hr care). These costs can reach millions of pounds over a lifetime.

- Workplace health and safety reforms. Employers often don't give a **** about the safety of their workers, and it takes good lawyers to make them give a ****, through legal action. It is absolutely right that employers should pay compensation to workers who have been injured because they weren't trained properly or given decent safety equipment.

- Illness claims. Certain resorts and hotels are renowned for sending their guests home with salmonella poisoning, shigella and norovirus due to crap hygeine. Legal action ensures they clean up their act. Some illnesses I have seen come through as case studies have long term implications. It's not acceptable, and we need lawyers to take these careless morons before the courts.

So lawyers aren't all bad and we do need them. Don't tar them all with the same brush.

Hmm your company exploits peoples misfortune to make a (what I will assume very large) profit!! You may not be chasing the ambulance yourself but your company most definatley will be, you might want to take them rose coloured glasses off....

Hmm your company exploits peoples misfortune to make a (what I will assume very large) profit!! You may not be chasing the ambulance yourself but your company most definatley will be, you might want to take them rose coloured glasses off....

Tell me then, in a world without legal services/lawyers, what would happen to those people who have:

a) been diagnosed with mesothelioma?

b) suffered severe brain injury?

c) been a victim of medical malpractice or negligence?

d) suffered injury at work due to poor health and safety or training?

Archived