Wetherspoons at Manor Top?

sparky2

I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. My wife spoke to one of the roofers who was climbing about on the Elm Tree a few weeks ago, and he said the place was a wreck and would need months to dry out before any work could be done on it.

Personally, I hope no one buys it and they rip it down; I fail to see how the only pub at Manor Top could be anything but a magnet for dross, no matter what they do to try and make it a family pub. (and I live in sight of the Elm Tree).

It really would be good for the area. Let's just hope it will attract the right kind of customers! I think it would be popular with people from areas like Intake, Frecheville, Hollinsend and Gleadless who don't have many decent real ale pubs in their area at present. Most pubs in south-east Sheffield are either keg-only, or at best they do no more than pay lip service to real ale.

There is the Gypsy Queen at Crystal Peaks, and the other one (whose name I've forgotten) next to Crystal Peaks bus station. And the Royal Oak at Intake and the Birley Hotel usually only have one or two real ales, if that.

• 4 months later...

I've recently been in touch with Wetherspoons, and unfortunately they tell me that they have not bought up the Elm Tree after all - I guess they may have decided against it because of the state of the building. So instead it just looks set to stand empty for the forseeable future...

• 11 months later...

Archived